The Dark Tower Thread

dunno. when he mentioned betwwen 4 and 5 i got a bit confused, since 4 was the flashback book except for the awesome end where they talk with Flagg and end up in the same flu ridden world of The Stand (if you didnt "get" that, read The Stand, awesome book). so yeah, probably there adventures after Flagg's meeting and The Calla.

Swizzle, did you read all the companion novels?

He might have to do another flashback. Like the tale of Cuthbert dying (unless that's talked about later in the last book).

I haven't read any companion novels. Do you mean the novels King references? The Stand and Salem's lot most notably.

He might have to do another flashback. Like the tale of Cuthbert dying (unless that's talked about later in the last book).

The Battle of Jericho Hill. He never did tell that story, so yeah, good call. Going into more detail about The Good Man John Farson.

I haven't read any companion novels. Do you mean the novels King references? The Stand and Salem's lot most notably.

Salem's Lot just has Father Callahan. The Stand is notable for the scene in Wizards and Glass and because Flagg is the main antagonist. No, the companion novels are:

Black House - where Lord Munshun kidnaps kids who are breakers, and is the continuation of the story of Jack Sawyer, who we met in The Talisman. An excellent book.

Low Men in Yellow Coats (found in the collection Hearts in Atlantis) - the story of Ted Brautigan after he escapes from the cantoi, or Low Men.

Insomnia - the story of Ralph Roberts who must save Patrick Danville. THe Crimson King shows up briefly.

Little Sisters of Eluria - a short story of Roland early in his quest.

IT - a few times the Turtle is mentioned and there are a few hints of the tower. Some believe It to be Dandelo (if you don't know who this is, don't worry)

oh fuck it, just go here: http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/connections.html

the ones you MUST read are Black House, Insomnia, and Low Men in Yellow Coats

I thought Turtle Back Lane sounded like Sara Laughs! I'm listening to the audio book and always pronounced Laughs as Laws instead of Laughs.

The more I read about the Dark Tower, the more I love it.

im currently reading Bag of Bones, so i'll look out for DT references. i just finished Just After Sunset, another collection book. reading the story "N." reminded me of DT because reality was "thin" with monsters on the other side. creepy ass story.

the wife is reading his new one, Under the Dome.

Rose Madder and Eyes of the Dragon also have DT references. Eyes was cool, but Rose Madder dragged, but ultimately paid off.

Bag of Bones is pretty ace. It's creepy in a "I don't know what the fuck is going to happen" rather than a "ghosts are creepy" fashion. The Old dude is fucking awesome.

Wolves of the Calla was my favourite so far. I loved Callahan's story and I like the mythos he kept revealing. Song of Susannah was good, but it seemed like most of it was just tying up loose ends for the final book (like Magic 13. I would have liked them to struggle with it).

I do put things into the back of my head when I read King. For example, Ka and the intuition that each character has. It gets really annoying. I love the mythos and characters. My favourite part of books are the mythos, which is probably why I like Lovecraft soo much.

Black House and Insomnia are both really bad. I bought Insomnia when it came out (1995?) and to this day cannot get through the first few chapters. King's writing seemed to suffer a bit when he became sober. Then, after he almost died, his works pretty much almost died with him. Bag of Bones, From a Buick 8, Dreamcatcher, etc, all average pieces of writing. The final book of the DT series was woefully disappointing. Duma Key is unreadable. For whatever crazy reason, I bought Under the Dome the other day but haven't started it, being too busy with school. I'm hoping he's back to taking all kinds of drugs again.

btw, The Talisman is *excellent*. Tons of DT allusions. Again, though, that was back when he was drunk most of the time.

Insomnia is awesome! havent you learned that King's books ALWAYS start slow. the first 100 pages are setting things up. did you even meet the three little doctors in Insomnia? if not, you're loss. a superb book. Black House was almost as good, especially the climax near the end. supposedly we're getting another Jack Sawyer book

i will agree with Dreamcatcher. i couldnt get into it. the movie was awful. i might try later. Book 7 was awesome. im not sure what people wanted. id talk about it, but swizzle hasnt finished it yet. ive got Duma Key, but havent tried it yet, nor his Rchard Bachman book, Blaze. im reading both Bag of Bones and the Girls that Loved TOm Gordon, which is short thankfully because its fairly boring.

ive tried to read Lisey's Story, but its a whole lot of boring. the hardest King books for me to finish were Rose Madder, Tommyknockers and The Talisman.

Cell was OK. im sure the zombie fanatics will love it, but it read like a hollywood script.

the Desperation/Regulators cycle didnt do much for me.geralds game was creepy. i havent tried dolores claiborne.

King is superb at writing novellas, as many of his novels are hit and miss. but read Different Seasons which includes The Body (which became the movie Stand By Me), Apt Pupil, and Shawshank Redemption. Just After Sunset had some superb stories like N., Mute, Stationary Bike. FOur Past Midnight had THe Langoliers and Night Cop. The Bachman Books has Rage and THe Long Walk.

so the main character from Bag of Bones meets none other than Ralph Roberts, the main dude from Insomnia, and what do they talk about? Insomnia. Cool.

Eddie just died. I think I'll miss the character. Also, this whole deal with King is starting to be really lame. And seriously, fuck Ka.

haha, the one thing I did not like about The DT series, that King thing.

and yeah, i got tired of them always saying Ka.

Bag of Bones is getting better. it's an eerie book. Girl that Loved Tom Gordon wasnt so bad after all. it can easily be read within a few days. quick, to the point, and described quite well

Just finished The Dark Tower VII. I thought the ending was great, exactly what was needed. [King] I like how the quest was never explained, but at the same time, it was perfectly explained [/King].