Dark Tranquility

I have to disagree with Hearse. "The Mind's I" is not very representative of the sound of the band, rather it's Dark Tranquillity at most extreme with mainly short, aggressive songs full of energy. If you want to explore the more emotional, subtle side of the band, take "The Gallery" or better yet, their debut "Skydancer". Although the latter one is quite underproduced and the playing on it is unfortunately not flawless, it still has some epic masterpieces like "A Bolt of Blazing Gold" and "Shadow Duet".

The Gallery is their most technical album - melodic death metal in its purest form. Fast, guitar-driven songs like "Punish My Heaven" and "Edenspring" stand out from the rest, alongside with more melancholic songs like "Lethe" and "Mine is the Grandeur...Of Melancholy Burning", but the overall quality of the album is nevertheless very high.

The Mind's I has its moments, like the almighty "Hedon", but as a whole I consider it weaker than its successor, the controversial "Projector". The band changed its approach a lot between these albums and Projector is very different from the band's other albums, containing more "clean" singing. Still, the album doesn't lack fast or aggressive parts - they are just swallowed there between those very melancholic, dark tunes of songs like "To a Bitter Halt" and Nether Novas". Still, the album is no more goth than any Opeth album.

DT's latest, "Haven" takes again a step into a new direction, incorporating a lot of keyboards and other "electronics". Songs like the opening "The Wonders at Your Feet" and "Rundown" are still recognizable as Dark Tranquillity, but the elements bring a different flavor to the whole album.

It is your choice, which album to take first, but I tell you - you are missing a lot if you don't take any.

-Villain

Thanks for the detailed info Villian. That's kinda what I was hoping for with this thread. Since Gallery seems to be THE choice by most I was going to try and start with it but I haven't been able to find it. Tower records has got Haven which I will go ahead and pick up today. I love metal with added synth/electronic parts so I'll probably get into it.
New music + 3 day weekend =:)

Thanks again for everybodys input.
Opethians Rule!!!!!

Dark Tranquillity and a 3 day weekend...lucky you. :lol: Lucky all of us....all hail Opethians everywhere! ha ha