Darkened Soul and WS keyboardist split CD project?

Oak Knoll

Oak Knoll Productions
May 17, 2002
Attleboro, MA USA
www.oak-knoll.com
Hehe .. I was talking with Wiley (is that his name) and it sounds like Mike S. and him have similiar projects.. who knows maybe it's worth us trying to put out some split cd with both your tracks on it? Could be a cool release... :cool:

I hope we can get Mike interested. I really enjoyed his album, and would be sincerely honored to do a split with him. Somebody give him a heads up for me, there are serious benefits for everyone on this venture.
Too many to list heh....

FearSore said:
I hope we can get Mike interested. I really enjoyed his album, and would be sincerely honored to do a split with him. Somebody give him a heads up for me, there are serious benefits for everyone on this venture.
Too many to list heh....

Haha, glad you liked it man! Yeah, we could probably do something this year. I don't know how much time I'll have to dedicate to it as I just started a new job and guitar lessons so time has gotten a bit limited but I can work on something off/on till I'm happy with it. Contact me at metalmike@comcast.net and we can go from there.

Mike

PS - it was cool meeting and playing with you guys last month man!

Oak Knoll said:
Hehe .. I was talking with Wiley (is that his name) and it sounds like Mike S. and him have similiar projects.. who knows maybe it's worth us trying to put out some split cd with both your tracks on it? Could be a cool release... :cool:

Works for me. I also have another guy I am probably going to collab with yet again. We (plus Stijn Van Cauter - Until Death Overtakes Me) collab'd awhile ago on the track Descent which is on my soundclick and artistserver pages. I worked up the track, sent it to Ashtorath and he sent it to Stijn who sent me the end result after his tweaks/additions. I'll talk to Jeremy on the side about that one as it starts to form.

Mike

I am definitely down for doing this split. In fact, I am in a similar position as far as my side project goes, but over the next few months I bet I could come up with about half a CD's worth of material, if not at least 22 minutes or there abouts. I think it would be awesome. I will have some new material out soon, so I can run that past you. In the mean time there are demos of my stuff up at www.myspace.com/fearsore
Talk to you soon man....

FearSore said:
I am definitely down for doing this split. In fact, I am in a similar position as far as my side project goes, but over the next few months I bet I could come up with about half a CD's worth of material, if not at least 22 minutes or there abouts. I think it would be awesome. I will have some new material out soon, so I can run that past you. In the mean time there are demos of my stuff up at www.myspace.com/fearsore
Talk to you soon man....

I'll swing by and give it some listening this morning. I have to start working on more new stuff as well. It doesn't take me that long to work out something if I find the samples that fit what may be in my head at the time I start working on a track. I definitely want to start doing other MIDI stuff with the EX61 as there's some combis/programs that I like and need to get some of it recorded at some point as well. No rush as we have time to get some stuff together.

Withersoul said:
I just heard Wiley's part of the split..it's fucking bad ass! I can't wait to hear it all together!

Whoa there nelly! I haven't heard from him via myspace or e-mailing me that he's been working on stuff. I've been busy with new job and other shit which has precluded me from working on some material. I need to know how many tracks he's set for it and how long time-wise it is! I'd guess ~30 mins which works out fine. I have to get back to working on something for this and then get on with another project I am in the stages of trying to flesh out. I want to go in the Dargaard vein sans vocals and it's a bitch seeing I've never worked on doing percussion stuff! A LOT of influences (Dargaard, Arcana, Coph Nia, Sophia, etc..) so I may need to shelve that for a bit while I work on new stuff for our split! Tell him to email me at metalmike@comcast.net please Bill so I can find out where he's currently at with things!

I'd like to hear some samples so I know where I should start on mine!

Thanks!

Mike

Just an update from the Darkened Soul camp, I've got 2 tracks done totalling a bit over 10 mins (one 3+ and other 7+) so far. The latest one is titled "My Loss" and I recorded it the other day and did some mastering on it and added some spoken word to it used in the track. More to come, like another 20 mins from my end to give us about an hours worth of music between the 2 of us. I should get moving to work out the remaining time/tracks (2-3 probably depending on how it goes). Wiley is apparently working on some artwork which I have yet to see any glimpses of.

Hopefully you ambient folks will like it. Jeremy, I'll see about sending you my 2 tracks to get some feedback from you as to what you think of it. I am going along the lines of Wiley's idea for the concept. Think of a room full of people you knew over time sitting in chairs and them becoming vacant over time. Loss, death, lack of communication, etc....something along those lines.

Mike

A 3rd track was completed the other day. I have about 10 more mins worth of music to record and master on my end. Been trying to reach Wiley to see about getting his tracks so I can hear how they sound and get an idea as to how things will fit/be together. Haven't seen artwork yet from him either....WILEY! Get in touch!

Mike

Well, I've completed my tracks for a total of 5 dark ambient/droning pieces with a bit of spoken word in one running for about 30 mins total. Need to get artwork and Fearsore's tracks so I can make up some promo packages to shop around to some labels. Not sure if Oak Knoll is gonna do anything with it just yet as I need to talk to Jeremy on this. But will post when more news is available. I think I am going to put a track or a sample up over at Myspace. Perhaps 2, but not sure on that just yet.

Mike / Darkened Soul

I sent him an email via myspace last week or so asking for artwork and his tracks so I can make up some promos and add in my liner notes. I am hoping he's already got his in there! Anyways, I have to put mine to CD-R and listen straight thru to see if I am overall happy with them. I can better judge after hearing his stuff seeing it's more live playing with instruments than me working with Ableton Live and plugins and an MS20 Korg keyboard (legacy collection) and using VSTi instruments (Absynth 3 used mostly) and SIR (Super Impulse Response) which is a cool reverb VST plugin. I'd like to hear Jeremy's thoughts since he has heard Wiley's already....as a comparison to see how it meshes.

Jeremy? Your thoughts?

Mike

Anyone know where he disappeared to? I haven't heard from him now in almost 2 months. So if I don't hear from him very soon I'll just release my material as an EP.

I am not going to wait much longer for him to get back in touch, get me the artwork in .psd format (complete from his end), and get me his tracks.

Mike

I now have his full 7 tracks and have arranged them to a CD-R with my material after his (seeing he suggested the split). We're still figuring out artwork but hopefully that'll be resolved in the next week or so so that we can move forward with Jeremy on the release of this sucker. 12 tracks clocking in at about an hour from two different dark ambient/classical/industrial artists. When it gets finalized I'll try to post in here where it's going out on, either Oak Knoll or Burnt Oak Productions. It's close folks! I like the differences between our styles and I think it makes for a nice interesting/depressive listen ;-)

Mike/Darkened Soul

I think this would be easier for me to release on Burnt Oak Productions. Either as a split or single EP's/full cds.

Are the BOP going out as full sized jewel cases or slimlines? That determines how much artwork design has to be done. I have to get an image back to Wiley soon so he can whip something together. Send me an email today/tomorrow with your schedule at night so I can figure out what night I can give you a call to talk about this.

Mike