Darksoul's Deftones appreciation thread

LORD DARKSOUL

Welcum 2 my funeral
I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum that have never given The Deftones the attention and appreciation that they deserve due to their widespread mainstream success, but fuck that and fuck you! They'll always be far over the heads of about 95% of their fan base and are easily the best commercially viable alt/metal/whatever act of the last 10 years (yes, this includes the pretentious overblown drivel that comprises 85% of any Tool album). I'd even go so far as to say that they've played a huge hand in shaping Katatonia's sound over the last few years. I'll bet anything that "White Pony" was in heavy rotation at the Katatonia camp during the writing and recording of "Last Fair Deal Gone Down." Perhaps most interestingly, as Katatonia have begun to sound more like The Deftones, The Deftones have drunk deeper from the well of melancholy in which Katatonia imbibe. Their last album, "Saturday Night Wrist," featured some totally bleak stuff as they've succeeded at capturing the ambiance of nocturnal desperation that is almost exclusive to Katatonia.

When The Deftones want to rock out, they do it better than anyone. Just check out the monstrous guitar tone on "Bloody Cape":

They know how to PARTY and have a good time too! I want to get krvnk with them. Oh.. and that guitar tone!

Similarly, when the mood strikes, they can provide the perfect soundtrack to lovelorn contemplation with enough conviction to make a stone faced man drown in a pool of his own tears:

In summation, The Deftones have always penned some of the most versatile and honest rock music ever while remaining completely true to themselves and ignoring all trends. They've outlived the "nu-metal" trend that they (arguably) spawned, not once falling into the same trappings that made their "contemporaries" so juvenile and laughable. Even if they receive the appreciation they deserve in term of records sales, it's unfortunate to know that their artistic merit has largely gone unsung.

I eagerly await "Eros." Get off your "kvlt" horse, asshole!

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, whoa! You had me at Deftones appreciation thread, but then your overblown opinion shat all over itself when you disrespected Tool.

I say, good day sir!

What starts off as a 5 course meal, quickly turns to dung, and sinks faster than the Titanic? Your opinion! Booo yahhhhh.!<<!M?

I'll be here all week folks.

Cheers, dude! You've totally spoken my thoughts about Deftones. You know, Katatonia and Deftones are my favorite bands of all and they do have similar vibe, in the mood, in the theme. And Deftones are so out of that Nu-Metal cliché. Passionately waiting for their new album Eros, that promises to be one of the greatest releases of 2008. Thank you for this tread, I fully agree with your every word.

I like em' all besides Adrenaline, but B Sides, and Rarities is my personal favorite.

Dude Ive never heard "Bloody Cape", must have overlooked it on Saturday Night Wrist. Pretty groovin' tune...not bad at all.Ive always liked White Pony and Around The Fur, the first album is meh to me now tho'.

I do agree with your Tool statement. They haven't put out a good album since AEnima.

All I remember from Deftones is skateboarding when I was a kid and listening to the song that says 'squeal like a pig' over and over. A girl I dated a couple years ago really liked them but I couldn't get into them again. I was like that with Tool though too, loved them as a kid but can't really get into them anymore. I can appreciate them, but I guess it's just not for me anymore or something.

Deftones are great, I love all their albums but yes I agree, White Pony and Saturday Night Wrist are amazing. I do however disagree with your Tool statements, but I guess that's a matter of opinion. I pretty much love Tool so yeah.

I do agree with your Tool statement. They haven't put out a good album since AEnima.

Oh my god I can't believe you just said this! I'll agree that 10,000 Days isn't my favourite of Tool's albums but Lateralus not a good album?! I don't want to force my opinions on others but I am curious as to why you have this particular one.

This is way off topic of a Deftones appreciation thread.... Can't wait for the new album, when is it supposed to be released?

Dude Ive never heard "Bloody Cape", must have overlooked it on Saturday Night Wrist. Pretty groovin' tune...not bad at all.Ive always liked White Pony and Around The Fur, the first album is meh to me now tho'.

"Bloody Cape" was actually on the 2003 S/T album, which is not nearly as good as White Pony or SnW.

As far as I know, the new album should be out by the end of the year!

Never really got into Deftones but I will say this--

Saw them in '98 on the second stage of a music festival and survived a mosh pit that was sloped downhill from the stage and consisted of gravel/asphalt. Yeah, I'm not sure if this is triumphant or idiotic. :heh: