darkthrone re-issues

Shakermaker

Hufeisenbrille
Oct 28, 2001
Bern
sorry if this has already been asked, i couldn't use the search for darkthrone (too long :D).
so, in what way(s) do the re-releases of the darkthrone differ from the original versions? were they remastered, do they have bonus tracks, additional liner note, or was anything cut out...?

Remastered, and I hear they (Peaceville) did a fucking lousy job at remastering them too, although I haven't heard them myself. "A Blaze" is supposed to sound like shit on the new version. Also, they're in digipaks and include video documentaries/interviews/something on a CD-ROM portion of the disc.

No. The production fits the music. You don't remaster Darkthrone. Anyway, I heard the new "A Blaze..." has some crackles and pops and whatever, stuff that obviously shouldn't be there and are re-mastering defects.

then just imagine the remastered sound was the original release sound! it doesn't make any difference; if it was originally released sounding like the remasters do now, everyone would still have praised it and said the production fits.

hmmm, I've got all of Darkthrone's stuff *other* than the remastered releases..... I guess i won't be buying them. I'll just keep the mp3s hehehe.

I like Plaguewielder

hmm i guess i'll just try to find the old ones.
they probably deleted the "norks arisk..." line too? it's not that this means anything special to me (god forbid) but when i buy art i want it in its original condition.

SculptedCold said:
then just imagine the remastered sound was the original release sound! it doesn't make any difference; if it was originally released sounding like the remasters do now, everyone would still have praised it and said the production fits.
Those are ERRORS, obvious mastering fuck-ups. Yeah, if that was the original record people wouldn't have complained because I suppose that the remaster keeps the basic sound of the record intact, it's just that it has those pops that shouldn't be there. From what I've heard it is clearly inferior to the original version.

Anyway, contrary to popular belief, "A Blaze..." does not really have "bad" production. It's intentionally kind of obscure and "live" sounding but actually rather clear, no four-track hell there. Now "Transilvanian Hunger" is another story...

Shakermaker said:
hmm i guess i'll just try to find the old ones.
they probably deleted the "norks arisk..." line too? it's not that this means anything special to me (god forbid) but when i buy art i want it in its original condition.
Peaceville, money-hungry as they seem, has re-released most of their stuff twice in a very short period of time: around 2001-2002 they released stuff in slipcases without bonus tracks and stuff, and now around 2003 they re-release everything AGAIN in mid-price digis with bonus tracks or other extra stuff.

Anyway, the "Norsk Arisk Black Metal" statement was erased on the first 2001 slipcase reissue of "Transilvanian Hunger" and is not on the digi either. If you want it, there is an Australian version by Modern Invasion (I think) that still carries that statement and is available for sale in some places. It, however, differs in some other ways -- clear jewel case tray instead of black/grey, for example.

hell I like pops. It sounds tr00 and kvlt and grim to me. I'll probably get the re-releases anyway, they're only about 8 squids in the high street stores anyway.

hmm. come to think of it......I think my mp3's might be from the re-releases anyway; they pop and crackle a lot.

Yeah, the only good thing about the digi re-releases is that they are mid-price. About fucking time they stop charging $15+ for releases from the early nineties. I got Anathema "The Silent Enigma" as one of them new digis and I'm very happy with it as it has "Sleepless '96" as a bonus track, which is most excellent.

phyre said:
Peaceville, money-hungry as they seem, has re-released most of their stuff twice in a very short period of time: around 2001-2002 they released stuff in slipcases without bonus tracks and stuff, and now around 2003 they re-release everything AGAIN in mid-price digis with bonus tracks or other extra stuff.

Anyway, the "Norsk Arisk Black Metal" statement was erased on the first 2001 slipcase reissue of "Transilvanian Hunger" and is not on the digi either. If you want it, there is an Australian version by Modern Invasion (I think) that still carries that statement and is available for sale in some places. It, however, differs in some other ways -- clear jewel case tray instead of black/grey, for example.

OK, thanks a lot for clarifying that. i guess they still carry the old re-releases (how stupid sounds that) in my metal-shop... so i won't get the real thing either, but at least i'll be able to avoid the remastering. how the hell did they get the idea to remaster a DARKTHRONE album? idiots.

It's only only "A Blaze In The Northern Sky," all the other ones are perfectly fine. No, they didn't delete the "Norsk Arisk..." either. The bonus is a documentary recorded by Fenriz and Nocturno Culto interviewing each other, one part on each re-issue (about 15 minutes each). Please, if you don't even have the cds, don't talk like you know it's fact.

DodensGrav said:
No, they didn't delete the "Norsk Arisk..." either.
I stand corrected then. It IS, however, deleted from the slipcase version. Also, I never said any other remasters than "A Blaze..." were fucked up, but fucked-up remasters or not, I agree with:
Shakermaker said:
how the hell did they get the idea to remaster a DARKTHRONE album? idiots.

Dodens Grav said:
It's only only "A Blaze In The Northern Sky," all the other ones are perfectly fine. No, they didn't delete the "Norsk Arisk..." either. The bonus is a documentary recorded by Fenriz and Nocturno Culto interviewing each other, one part on each re-issue (about 15 minutes each). Please, if you don't even have the cds, don't talk like you know it's fact.

well OK, whatever :D i'll take a look at the situation instore ;)

I didn't like those interviews so much. Knew alot of what they said from before, so they were almost boring, but cool filming in the woods though...

The norwegian comment under the Graven Taakeheimens Saler lyric was funny as shit!!!

"(...) I en dyster stund i fengsel. I lyden av ett hundre manns fortvilelse og sinne (over nok et ar a leve). Skrevet i kulde og hat - og sinne!!!"

ha ha ha that could be a song!!

Dodens Grav said:

just resurrecting this, because the confusion is perfect now...
from what i've gathered during the past few weeks, peaceville have indeed remastered ALL of darkthrone's first four albums. furthermore, the "norsk arisk..." seems to have been deleted.
does anyone have real facts on this?
i'm just not going to pay for a remastered album, but i desperately need darkthrone stuff :D

Life Sucks said:
I have the Soulside Journey re-release and it sounds fine. I never had the original though.
you're not as tr00 and gr1m as Erik so leave the thread please

I also have the re-release, and I dont hear any difference at all

i have the re-masters of transylvanian hunger and soulside journey and they're fine, i quite like the interviews as well, they're interesting. I have the original versions of a blaze in the northern sky and under a funeral moon. i would say hate them as well but thats a glossy new album. All my darkthrone albums play fine