Dat drum punch .......

Every time I try to use a stereo widener, I regret it and eventually remove it. I'm with Reddog on this one. I've still got a ways to go, but the better I get at engineering and mixing, and the closer I get to a "balanced" mix (talking frequency balance and dynamics balance) without having to use a ton of eq, the more spacious and wide my mixes sound.

A good mix/master starts with the recording. It's vital to get good tracking performances along with using high quality instruments, microphones, pre's, compressors, EQ's, etc. A good song (and recording) almost mixes itself. A recording tracked in a bedroom with low quality gear and an inexperienced engineer will rarely be saved or compete with the big albums, even if it's been mixed and mastered by a professional. I've been engineering in commercial studios for over 10 years yet a bulk of my work in recent times has been mixing recordings that were tracked in home studios. While I can achieve excellent results, it's just never as good as something that I produced/recorded myself (or somebody else) in a commercial studio. I'm not saying that you can't get decent results in a home studio environment and I'm certainly not saying that mixing and mastering isn't important, I just can't stress enough how much the recording stage affects the final result. It's like building a house. If the foundation is weak, it falls apart! Don't be too hard on yourself, you're comparing your stuff against recordings that are tracked, mixed and mastered in high quality studios by professionals. And with musicians who do it for a living!! Working with a producer from the pre-production stage is also a big advantage. Keep plugging away, you'll get there. Good luck!!!

Too much high end in the OH's? Too loud?

It's Slate Essentials kit.....the only midi drum VSTi I own. SO I'm pretty limited.

Thanks a lot guys for all the input. Very much appreciated!!

EDIT: The riff at :20 has 1 centered guitar playing the "main" riff and two guitars 100% L/R playing chuggy accents. And when it all comes together, these 3 guitars are playing the same riff for a "bigger" sounding chorus-y effect. Maybe this is why I've had a few comments on the guitars sounding too centered?

Pretty good mix. I personally thought the kick was slightly too loud but I'm on my cans atm so it might just be that.

Thanks, Terminus! One of the recent mixes I did, I felt I carved away wayyyy too much high end in the guitars (like, LP at 7 or 8k-ish) because a lot of people here tell me my guitars are harsh and fizzy, etc....and I can't seem to get rid of that. I think it's time to drop $ into a dedicated reamp box and maybe a Countryman 85.

I have to say like me, you are over thinking the mix. My ears are telling me it is fine. You want some glue, some loss in clarity becuase everything is blurring together. The drums are punchy as fuck for the tone you have for them. If you wanted to go for a tight, no low end, compressed as fuck sound, yeah you could get a little bit punchier, but not much. Your mix sounds as punchy as any label released album so I think for the most part you are just being too hard on yourself. The one thing I can say that may help the overall mix is the guitar tone, its too boxy and has a very limited bandwidth that is preventing it from being as present as it could. Overall I think the drums are a bit too dark in the extreme highs and you compensated by bringing up some of the upper mids/highs that are making everything kind of harsh. All of my criticisms are personal preference though and won't do much for the drum punch but could help let the guitars separate from the mix a little bit and cut a little better.

Wow man, thank you! It really means a lot getting this input from you all!!

Do you have any suggestions on how to make the guitar tone less boxy? Just surgical EQ more? I only have a few cuts and probably 1 or 2 tiny boosts but I forget now it's been a little while.

Wow man, thank you! It really means a lot getting this input from you all!!

Do you have any suggestions on how to make the guitar tone less boxy? Just surgical EQ more? I only have a few cuts and probably 1 or 2 tiny boosts but I forget now it's been a little while.

Post some uneq'd guitar tracks and I would be able to give you some detailed ideas, like how to eq or if the tracks are usable.

So I tried this free Flux Stereo Tool plugin. Couldn't seem to get it to work properly on guitar bus, so I put an instance of it on each guitar track.

I'm not exactly sure it sounds "better", to me it sounds as if it added gain to the tracks, because they sound noticeably louder with the plugin ON compared to Bypassed, and the Gain on the plug is set to 0.00db.

Maybe I need to mess with it a bit more.