Dat Whitechapel Self-Titled Mix

Frak

Nov 30, 2011
Perth, Australia
I'll just start by saying the mix on this album is fucking ridiculous.

Anyhow, I've been spamming it in my playlists lately, and one thing I keep growing curious about is how the hell they got that vocal sound.
It's like, crazy warm without sounding like flab. Super fat.

It's really evident in this song right at the start when he growls "Let this be the day that I..."

Any ideas on what might've been used to achieve it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I need to get this new(ish) album... sounds huge.

I think with the vocal it's got a fair bit of saturation/overdrive on it, and they're double tracking which could help, but other than that i'm not sure..

Yeah if I'm not mistaken they did that at Audiohammer in Florida with Mark Lewis (axeman720 on this forum) doing the whole thing. He also posts on gearslutz under the same name. A couple quick searches and you'll find a lot of info.

cheers,

Just sounds like a vocal without a whole bunch of EQ on it. You don't need layers of EQ to make something sound professional if you know how the fuck to engineer sound.

Just sounds like a vocal without a whole bunch of EQ on it. You don't need layers of EQ to make something sound professional if you know how the fuck to engineer sound.
^

That, but keep in mind Phil is actually good as fuck.

Confirmed:

Barely visible at the end and it's clear in studio vids for other albums:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know anything about the guitar tone? I really dig it on this album!

I asked Mark about this, these are quotes from him

"its a 5153 through traditional mesa cab and kemper"

"57 and beyer 201"

I also asked if he prefers the 5153 over the regular 5150, he said

"5153 is a bit tighter and compressed"

Thanks for the compliments guys...

First of all... the band is on fire. They are all just killer at what they do...

In terms of vocals... phil is just a freak of nature... He already sounds huge but i do tend to hit preamps and compressors Pretty fuckin hard to achieve some edge going in.

I have a 51-x format lunchbox rack (similar to 500 series but with extra voltage) by a company called IJ research. I have some preamps and compressors that they designed and then i have some neve 1073 clones that i use in that rack as well.

I hit the front end of the preamp pretty hot with a sm7 and then it goes into an 1176 style compressors with a few mods to make it sound a bit "bigger" (haufe transformers etc...) I have no shame in compressing 7-12db sometimes all the way up 20 on the way in. Im gonna crush the shit out of the vocal anyway... why not do it on the way with one of my favorite comps?

The new devildriver coming out that i am just finishing is even more pushed in the front end... i think dez sounds like a maniac on this one. Its pretty cool, at least i dig it.

Not too much eq going, just careful of low end, maybe a little edge added with more compression and some distortion as well. But again, phil sounds like a maniac.

Whitechapel is ALL about experimenting, so expect some even more whacky shit on the new one. Its kind of our goal to be the antithesis of what other modern metal records are sounding like, to a certain extent.

If its got vibe and sounds human, fuck clarity. We want size and shock value.Hope that makes sense.