circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Daughters – Canada Songs
Robotic Empire – robo029 – 2004
By Jason Jordan

daughters.jpg

Here’s some numeric information about Canada Songs, just so you know what to expect:

9 – number of U.S. dollars I paid for this
10 – number of tracks on this disc
11 – number of minutes this occupies

Not quite a “long player” eh? Never mind that, however. Rhode Island’s Daughters are about as close to a tornado as a band can get: they appear in an instant, devastate all in their path, and disperse as suddenly as they arrive. This math/tech quintet are skilled wielders of their respective instruments, playing a style that summons those such as Ion Dissonance, Glass Casket, and Hewhocorrupts (grind-wise), though the instrumentation here revolves around the higher end of the sonic spectrum. In other words, since the material is mostly high-pitch, the guitars are always squealing, whining, and screaming. It also helps that Canada Songs has magnificent packaging. Besides their spastic music, Daughters have a sense of humor, too, which is most conspicuous in song titles like “Jones from Indiana,” “I Slept with the Daughters and All I Got Was This Lousy Song Written About Me,” and my personal favorite, “Pants, Meet Shit.”

The flaws should be kind of obvious. This is EP – perhaps even demo – length, but usually I listened to Canada Songs about three times in a row to compensate for the briefness. In addition, overly intricate songs don’t make a lasting impression, so it’s imperative to absorb this incrementally and consistently if you want to actually remember what the hell you just heard. Even so, I admire what they’ve done, and I’m not the only apparently as Daughters will be releasing their next opus on Hydra Head. Remember the phrase “quality over quantity”? I concur because that certainly applies in this case.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Daughters Website
Official Robotic Empire Website