Dave Grohl to host TV series about recording studios on HBO

^Haha that's just about what I thought.

Don't get me wrong, this guy is great an obviously he's achieved what others will only dream of their entire lives but the analog voodoo is sooo tiring.

I'm looking forward to all the promo leading up to the new album though. They had quite a lot of pro-shot live performances (including some garage shows) available for Wasting Light and if the new record lives up to its predecessor it's going to be amazing. :)

I was interested in the movie. Is it as bad as I got the impression just now? :rofl:D

It's worth watching but the first half is "behind the music" style reminiscing and the second half is him jamming with his friends while recording through the neve he just bought. My takeaways were that LA studios were as dependent on hits as the artists to survive and that Trent Reznor is one of the most talented dudes to come out of that era.
I think the show could be really cool if they let someone else direct/produce it and Dave is just the host. Otherwise it's just going to be a long form recording studio version of the Top Gun volleyball montage.

^Haha that's just about what I thought.

Don't get me wrong, this guy is great an obviously he's achieved what others will only dream of their entire lives but the analog voodoo is sooo tiring.

"ProTools killed the industry." - PT rig sitting in his studio.

"Digital is evil, analog only." - Line6 Studio, Eventide, Lexicon, etc. processors behind him in his studio's rack.

"I recorded in my garage." - "Garage" is outfitted better than most current big production houses.

Dave Grohl is a populist, he'll say whatever people on the whole will agree with.

Unfortunately general consensus is usually unfalteringly inaccurate or misguided and so to anyone knowledgable it always comes across as a combination of rose tinted spectacles and bushy eyed optimism that falters as conjecture when actually questioned.

I have a lot of respect for the guy but honestly I believe he couldn't tell if something was recorded on tape or not if he didn't know in advance.

"ProTools killed the industry." - PT rig sitting in his studio.

"Digital is evil, analog only." - Line6 Studio, Eventide, Lexicon, etc. processors behind him in his studio's rack.

"I recorded in my garage." - "Garage" is outfitted better than most current big production houses.

How are these not memes rushing through the internet right now? I need them.

Hahaha that first one sparked some butthurt in a few engineers on my Facebook feed. Apparently it's the cost of equipment and the gear itself that makes the product sound great, not the engineer.

I did but the meme website deleted them or something cos they disappeared and I was too lazy to make and reupload them again so I just deleted the posts :erk: