David Beckham!!!

Well I think the idea to bring him over is to help change that perception. I'm sure if LA Galaxy is willing to pay that money to Beckham, you'll possibly get a slew of players towards the end of their careers following suit.

But honestly, I don't want this thread to get into the whole "nobody cares about Soccer in the US" direction because it's irrelevant. We're talking about a MAJOR sports transaction here worth $250M.

You do realize that not even European clubs have ever paid that sort of money for a player. This is history in the making.

the biggest problem with soccer in the US is still the 45 minutes / no commercials ... the sport is not TV/media whoring friendly

But honestly, I don't want this thread to get into the whole "nobody cares about Soccer in the US" direction because it's irrelevant. We're talking about a MAJOR sports transaction here worth $250M.
Since when do we talk about sports transactions? I guess I missed that "Barry Zito signs for 137 million" thread on RC. The reason Beckham was given this money is for one reason; to build soccer in the US. To that extant, it's hard to discuss this transaction outside of that context.

Zod

As far as that signing is concerned, I'm happy about it and am all for anything that increases the sport's popularity over here. The drama and history of the sport are a pretty winning combination and anytime I've watched the U.S. is a tournament setting, (Olympics, World Cup, etc.), it's been pretty entertaining.

@Zod: Nah, not really. All I was saying in this thread was "David Beckham got signed for $250M" and that it's a huge sum of money. I couldn't give a shit about the MLS.

Did anyone see the NY Times today? Inside page in the sports section, there's a FULL PAGE AD for Beckham's arrival....something like "BECKHAM'S COMING TO AMERICA". It's sponsored by LA Galaxy but I thought it was pretty funny that it said he's coming to America and not to LA Galaxy. :tickled:

But honestly, I don't want this thread to get into the whole "nobody cares about Soccer in the US" direction because it's irrelevant.

is that why my colorful post got deleted, you scrud? :lol:

THis dude is all over the TV right now. It's nigh impossible to escape his high pitched gay voice. seriously, is that the way you sound JayK? :loco:

i'm with zod, this was done entirely to promote US soccer. i dont mind looking at his wife, but i despise "celebrity athletes". even in the games, he plays a pretty boy with the hair and all. kinda like dennis rodman years ago. and we all know anna kournikova is popular because she's good at tennis and has a great personality. :loco:

baseball is still America's sport. always will be.

is that why my colorful post got deleted, you scrud? :lol:

Yeah, I'm not getting into this whole "my sport is better than your sport" nonsense.

THis dude is all over the TV right now. It's nigh impossible to escape his high pitched gay voice. seriously, is that the way you sound JayK? :loco:

:tickled: The first time I heard his voice I was like WTF?? You should go to youtube and check ou the Ali G interview. :lol:

i'm with zod, this was done entirely to promote US soccer.

You're with Zod? Nobody's disagreeing here!!! I agree 1000%. I even suggested that the MLS head honchos invested their own $$ into this just to get him into the country.

There is no question that he chose LA Galaxy because he wanted to be near the celebrities. Remember this couple hang out with Tom Cruise etc.

baseball is still America's sport. always will be.

OK. I don't think anyone is thinking one sport is going to overtake another. I'm sure the MLS will be happy just to increase levels of interest etc. I think it will be good for the US to join the world a bit more and play some games that everyone plays.

Nice area from what I've seen of it - I lived in Putney by the heath for a couple of years :) Now I'm in East Dulwich! :cool:

Yeah, the grid is very nice. East Dulwich, eh? When I went to South Bank Uni, I was living in Herne Hill.

On topic: Real Madrid coach announced today that Beckham will not be playing for the rest of the season. The fact that he's already signed a contract with LA Galaxy suggests "his heart's not in it". He's getting paid not to play now.

Fair enough I suppose.

Next weekend is a HUGE weekend for EPL:

Man U v Arsenal
Liverpool v Chelsea

And I'll be at Heathen Crusade. Oh the dilemna... :loco::loco::loco:

Did anyone see the NY Times today? Inside page in the sports section, there's a FULL PAGE AD for Beckham's arrival....something like "BECKHAM'S COMING TO AMERICA".

_42450973_beckham2033.jpg

And in an unlikely turn of events, the first NFL game for next season will be played at Wembley Stadium in the UK. It's a "home game" for Miami Dolphins.

Eiiirwrds.

BBC SPORT | Other Sport... | American Football | Wembley gets nod to host NFL game

that is wierd. Will anyone go? It'll be a toss-up as to which sport is more boring.

was reading in the paper yesterday, that in light of the announcement, Beckham was benched by Real Madrid for the rest of the season ... dick move really.

Yeah, he's getting paid NOT to play. :zombie:

He was on the bench for RM anyway, only being brought on as a sub.

He might be in the US sooner than expected...not sure what he'd be doing though since it's off-season. Training? Hanging out with the Cruises?