Dayum its hard getting a hold of Joey!

i literally just got my certification and am learning starting to use the slate samples etc, but im no where near joey when it comes to getting that sound

heres what we just recorded

http://soundcloud.com/monumentcalifornia/stop-in-for-a-smle-2011

see what i mean haha

yes, yes i see what you mean.

You have to remember there is more to a engineers sound than knowing what patch he uses or having the same samples. My best advice is this: stop trying to emulate joey and just learn recording the proper way. While I love what Joey does, I think his method has jaded kids to the point that they think all they need to be a studio is a POD, SSD, and a SM7. What ever happened to learning the basics of different microphones, placement, acoustics,tuning...Hell tuning the instruments is 80% of a good recording. He has learned all this stuff but that is not what you see because it is all the foundation *no pun intended* to recording. These are the important things to start learning. After you have mastered the basics, the effort involved in getting a great drum sound or a big beefy guitar be greatly decreased.

If you have that much cash for your EP why don't you buy some good gear an record yourself after getting some experience around here. Or go with someone else that can do such a great job as Joey does (he's great but not the ULTIMATE producer IMO)

If you have that much cash for your EP why don't you buy some good gear an record yourself after getting some experience around here. Or go with someone else that can do such a great job as Joey does (he's great but not the ULTIMATE producer IMO)

yeah I've considered it, like buying the gear and having someone else mix and master, the main issue is the microphone choices and stuff, like what is a good one that i would want for that sound, i have a DI for guitars i have pod farm i have an 18 input board and some cheapo condensers and a bunch of SM57 mics, also can anyone recommend similar people to joeys style? and what it would cost just for the mixing and mastering?

yeah I've considered it, like buying the gear and having someone else mix and master, the main issue is the microphone choices and stuff, like what is a good one that i would want for that sound, i have a DI for guitars i have pod farm i have an 18 input board and some cheapo condensers and a bunch of SM57 mics, also can anyone recommend similar people to joeys style? and what it would cost just for the mixing and mastering?

My boy Josh Wickman has his stuff on lock. He can get that Sturgis-esk sound you want

As far as mic choices with Joey, you're kinda limited to what he has. He has what works and has worked for him in the past and doesnt really have any other choices than that.

Vocals:
SM7b
AT4040

Drums:
km184s
SM57s
MD 421s
and then whatever else he has laying around for rooms and whatnot (havent kept up with those)

awesome! ill get the gear and record it myself! once i do ill hit up your guy! thanks!

My boy Josh Wickman has his stuff on lock. He can get that Sturgis-esk sound you want

As far as mic choices with Joey, you're kinda limited to what he has. He has what works and has worked for him in the past and doesnt really have any other choices than that.

Vocals:
SM7b
AT4040

Drums:
km184s
SM57s
MD 421s
and then whatever else he has laying around for rooms and whatnot (havent kept up with those)

He just showed me one of his newer mixes and it is really some of the heaviest stuff I have heard.
I feel like he can always get a mix that fits the band

I'd record DI's and midi the drums and upload it on the forum offering to pay for the best mix your EP and then do a blind shootout with your bandmates. There are a lot of really talented people on these forums and with the amount of information passed between each other they are only getting better with practice. Who knows you may be lucky enough to get recorded by the next up and coming Joey :)

I'd record DI's and midi the drums and upload it on the forum offering to pay for the best mix your EP and then do a blind shootout with your bandmates. There are a lot of really talented people on these forums and with the amount of information passed between each other they are only getting better with practice. Who knows you may be lucky enough to get recorded by the next up and coming Joey :)

Assuming you've got the knowledge and equipment to record DI's and vocals well this can be a not bad way to go.

The only thing I will say is don't come back offering peanuts for someone to build your project from the ground up.
Editing, re-amping guitars, humanizing midi drums, selecting and tweaking samples, mixing it all together and finally mastering it is alot of work. And I've seen some guys offer practically nothing in the past for doing this kind of stuff.
If you offer decent money for it then you can seriously open up a large pool of talented people. Don't scrimp on it if you care about your project!

what would be a decent price to pay someone? i have all drums recorded and bass and redoing guitars since we didnt do DI the first time around, and basically i need someones help mixing it the joey way clipping the drums, getting that tone just right etc?

what would be a decent price to pay someone? i have all drums recorded and bass and redoing guitars since we didnt do DI the first time around, and basically i need someones help mixing it the joey way clipping the drums, getting that tone just right etc?

Post some midi and DI's for one song. See who mixes it best. Work out a price with them for the rest of the songs.

what would be a decent price to pay someone?

For someone "unknown" to mix it? I would say "at least what you make at McDonald's for the equal amount of time used". Let's take a realistic example... you have an album worth of songs for the CD, and you send the files to the guy for mixing. Usually mixing the first song takes a lot longer time than others, which is then used as a template for other songs. Say mixing it takes ~10-20 hours. After that estimate around 4-8 hours per song, since automation and what not takes a lot of time, unless the song is like super easy (like just drum midi, bass, 2-4 guitars and 1-3 vocal tracks). Usually the first version is never the best possible, so then add ~20 hours for revisions, so if you have 11 tracks on the album, 123 hours total time, which at McDonald's Cashier's pay of $7.42/h makes ~$913 for 123 hours. So I would say absolute minimum of $50 per song, but if you actually like what you hear on the reference mixes $100. And that's just fox mixing. Same goes for editing.