Dayum its hard getting a hold of Joey!

haha right on i like your way of thinking! so ill get the guitar tracks DI'd and post up a song too see who can mix best? only thing is i recorded in logic pro 9 and some songs have tempo changes, should i just put up the project file? and anyone with logic can edit it? or OMF file? or would i want to export as waves?

haha right on i like your way of thinking! so ill get the guitar tracks DI'd and post up a song too see who can mix best? only thing is i recorded in logic pro 9 and some songs have tempo changes, should i just put up the project file? and anyone with logic can edit it? or OMF file? or would i want to export as waves?

consolidate audio files so that they all start from zero and then tell us what and where the tempo changes are.

Just put an "info" file in the zip file with the DI's and midi with tempo information, what tracks are what, and so on.

For someone "unknown" to mix it? I would say "at least what you make at McDonald's for the equal amount of time used". Let's take a realistic example... you have an album worth of songs for the CD, and you send the files to the guy for mixing. Usually mixing the first song takes a lot longer time than others, which is then used as a template for other songs. Say mixing it takes ~10-20 hours. After that estimate around 4-8 hours per song, since automation and what not takes a lot of time, unless the song is like super easy (like just drum midi, bass, 2-4 guitars and 1-3 vocal tracks). Usually the first version is never the best possible, so then add ~20 hours for revisions, so if you have 11 tracks on the album, 123 hours total time, which at McDonald's Cashier's pay of $7.42/h makes ~$913 for 123 hours. So I would say absolute minimum of $50 per song, but if you actually like what you hear on the reference mixes $100. And that's just fox mixing. Same goes for editing.

Haven't ventured on this side of UM before, but this caught my eye. Even at $100 that's absolutely low-balling the prices, and comments like that shouldn't really be made unless you're familiar with the business yourself, because in a way you're effectively devaluing the industry. Mixing a 10-song album takes pretty much 10 days. What you don't realize is that McDonald's pays a lot more of their employees than what ends up in the employee's hand. For someone self employed (eg. the mixing engineer we're talking about here), your example would mean about $60-70 per day when you take all the expenses into account. Minus taxes.

Generally speaking, you can get a hobbyist for around $0-1000, and quite often, this means the guy is using cracked software, isn't paying taxes for his work and/or is probably just starting out or fooling around. If you're looking for decent quality, you're usually looking at $1500 and upwards, which is already a really good deal for professional work. For $5000-7000, you'll get a well-known engineer with lots of label creds under his/her belt.

If you were considering Joey, don't go for the cheapest option! :)

I'm down to do a quick sample but out of curiosity, what is your budget for this?

awesome man! i appreciate it!

well budget wise i agree with ahjteam in that no one on here(at least those i have been talking to) are professionals in the sense of reputation, owning a studio company and are doing this(at least for now) as a hobby not a 9-5er. i would definitely be willing to do at least 50 dollars a song(we have 6) i heard joey can do three songs in one day for 500(making each song about 166) and hes a professional i think 50 minimum is pretty solid getting a total of 300 to mix our EP. but i am definitely negotiable. i want to be fair. so any input on this would be great too.

well budget wise i agree with ahjteam in that no one on here(at least those i have been talking to) are professionals in the sense of reputation, owning a studio company and are doing this(at least for now) as a hobby not a 9-5er. i would definitely be willing to do at least 50 dollars a song(we have 6) i heard joey can do three songs in one day for 500(making each song about 166) and hes a professional i think 50 minimum is pretty solid getting a total of 300 to mix our EP. but i am definitely negotiable. i want to be fair. so any input on this would be great too.

I don't usually discuss this in public, but seeing the "$300 for six songs" comment, I felt the sudden urge to post. Six songs, including reamping, totals up to around $1400-1600 including taxes in my case. Yes, I am a full-time engineer, but I'm on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Earlier you talked about Joey being able to MASTER three songs in a day, not mix. $300 for mastering the EP is a realistic budget. AFAIK the way Joey works, he mixes a lot during the tracking, and again, you said yourself it takes him two days to track a song.

I'd strongly urge you to save up a bit more! :)

i heard joey can do three songs in one day for 500(making each song about 166)

Who in gods name told you that? I know it's frowned upon to discuss this here, but misinformation like this is worse than people knowing the truth. Joey costs $1500 a song - $500 per day, 3 days minimum per song (however this does include tracking).

well i completely understand your point but from what ive seen on this forum is that there is some very talented people mixing and mastering music that are still in the hobby stage, those are the people i'm looking to mix my project, this way they gain more experience and actually get paid for it. if i had the money for 1400-1600 i would only accept a professional engineer with a reputation and experience to master my tracks, besides pod farm isn't necessarily re-amping as in sending an out to an actual cab its the same as using midi with a virtual instrument, i would love to have my stuff professionally done but like i said we recorded all this on our own and kinda blew some cash doing so. getting gear and what not..

i dont want to start a riot on this forum over price haha but i see the potential in the posts people throw up with their mixing capabilities. and its awesome to see more experienced people giving advice on what to change or how to make it better,

I don't usually discuss this in public, but seeing the "$300 for six songs" comment, I felt the sudden urge to post. Six songs, including reamping, totals up to around $1400-1600 including taxes in my case. Yes, I am a full-time engineer, but I'm on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Earlier you talked about Joey being able to MASTER three songs in a day, not mix. $300 for mastering the EP is a realistic budget. AFAIK the way Joey works, he mixes a lot during the tracking, and again, you said yourself it takes him two days to track a song.

I'd strongly urge you to save up a bit more! :)

Who in gods name told you that? I know it's frowned upon to discuss this here, but misinformation like this is worse than people knowing the truth. Joey costs $1500 a song - $500 per day, 3 days minimum per song (however this does include tracking).

sorry i think you missunderstood, he can master 3 songs a day for 500 bucks,

if he was recording he would do two days to record and one day to master but he can master three in a day

If your budget is only $50 per song you might as well just do it yourself. Based on what I heard of your attempt at mixing, unless someone is just hard up for some cash, that's about what you can expect for that price. I'm not saying your attempt is bad at all but for $50 you shouldn't be expecting much more than that. Any step up in quality and you should expect the price range to jump as well. And I haven't taken a look at the files but if olif8 is correct in stating that there is a shitload of editing to do then that alone will consume more time than your $50 will get you.