Dbeat/grindcore with no guitars

Korwent

Dec 19, 2012
France
Hi everyone, I recently took on a project in which there are no guitars, only drums plus bass guitar, the guy (it's a solo project) sent me 3 bass DIs so that I could give wideness to the mix , and wanted me to have quite a raw vibe, with a very distorted bass tone, referencing to bands like Spasm, Jig Ai and the like.

Keeping that in mind, what do you think of that first draft of mix (no vocals yet)?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35898899/Drum&Bass/Drumbass 10.mp3

Reactions: rapucore
Thanks!
I'll ask the musician about the bass he used, but on my end it was, for the two tracks on the sides, my Hm2 pedal plugged in my kemper with an ENGL E670 profile and LOTS OF EQ (In fact I really used them as guitar tracks, so high passed them quite a lot!) and the central one is split on 2 tracks, one DI and the other with TSE BOD, and the usual bass processing!

In fact, I still have something that bothers me with HM2 bass tones, which is the pick attack sound and the kind of "shwit shwit" it makes, I've been trying to reduce it for a while and could not get to get rid of it...
Any idea as for how to deal with that, annd is it as annoying as I think?

this is awesome!

i'd just push the snare more upfront, needs a bit more punch imho.

shwit shwit doesen't bother me, i didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.