DBX 160VU Test (Outboard vs ITB compression)

No way, there are no VCA comps in the CLA bundle. It's a no-no on drums for me unless we're talking OHs and Rooms.

That's the problem really, there are no good drum compressors ITB. They simply don't seem to exist. None of them do attacks right, nor do they 'thicken' transients as actual compressors do.

People here are preferring the 160VU doing a measly 2dB of compression. It's up against the Waves SSL E-chan and elysia mPressor, my best ITB drum compressors. If the difference is so appreciable at such a subtle setting, WITHIN a mix, then the ITB comps don't stand a chance.

I'd love to hear a comparison between the 160VU and the 160A.
the A is pretty affordable, if it's as good I might actually buy one

Haven't compared 160VU and A/X/T side by side for speak about it. But transformer add something from what I know (side by side comp between old red3 and new. Different beast but same idea).

Planning to buy some 160A end 2010 (I need 4 160A and a 165A) so if Erm buy a 160VU, comp would be possible:D

Yeah, I've been asking for this on the local board where the poster ran these tracks through his 160VU.

The general idea is that they have a similar attitude, but the transformers apparently add a density to the transients that the 160A doesn't have. Can't validate for sure though, as I don't know anyone who has a 160A.

I'd rather the newer model that's easier to service TBH. If the 160A is a good drum compressor, I'll take two thanks.

160A are good on kick, some snare, bass, guitars and for some vocal compression.
Btw is a good feeling to see some interest for DBX comp...

Wow the 160a is cheap! So it seems like you guys are saying that the 160a sounds very close but not spot on? If it sounds nearly as good, I am buying one.

Yeah, I've been asking for this on the local board where the poster ran these tracks through his 160VU.

The general idea is that they have a similar attitude, but the transformers apparently add a density to the transients that the 160A doesn't have. Can't validate for sure though, as I don't know anyone who has a 160A.

I'd rather the newer model that's easier to service TBH. If the 160A is a good drum compressor, I'll take two thanks.

I own/have owned and used the 160VU, 160A, 160X and 160XT. The old 160VU half racks had transformers and the old "tin can" VCA's which are the key to the sound of those units. The 160VU is a whole different technology and circuit design than the rest of DBX 160 series. 160VU is certainly "thicker" and way less "grainy" sounding than the X or especially the XT.

The 160A, X and XT all pretty much sound alike with that dbx VCA character. The difference is really small IMHO.

No way, there are no VCA comps in the CLA bundle. It's a no-no on drums for me unless we're talking OHs and Rooms.

That's the problem really, there are no good drum compressors ITB. They simply don't seem to exist. None of them do attacks right, nor do they 'thicken' transients as actual compressors do.

People here are preferring the 160VU doing a measly 2dB of compression. It's up against the Waves SSL E-chan and elysia mPressor, my best ITB drum compressors. If the difference is so appreciable at such a subtle setting, WITHIN a mix, then the ITB comps don't stand a chance.

The thing about the 160VU is because of the hard knee and the terrible metering, with the GR needle just barely twitching, you're already hammering your signal.

i must say, the 160a is also fucking awesome as a tracking comp for vocals on the way in...

3:1 ratio and i'll knock off like 10-15dB no problem, hahaha.

I own/have owned and used the 160VU, 160A, 160X and 160XT. The old 160VU half racks had transformers and the old "tin can" VCA's which are the key to the sound of those units. The 160VU is a whole different technology and circuit design than the rest of DBX 160 series. 160VU is certainly "thicker" and way less "grainy" sounding than the X or especially the XT.

The 160A, X and XT all pretty much sound alike with that dbx VCA character. The difference is really small IMHO.

So the 160a will NOT get you close to the sound of the 160vu that so easily slays the waves ssl comp?

Bummer, there were a couple of VU's for sale in Melbs a couple of weeks ago at a pretty good price ($300 ea). I could have hooked you up. I don't need more so I didn't grab em.

As mentioned the meter ballistics are slow as all shit on these so 4db needle movement would be way overkill for general sit and prop usage. The release is the special sauce with these boxes I reckon, just tickling the meter.

Bummer, there were a couple of VU's for sale in Melbs a couple of weeks ago at a pretty good price ($300 ea). I could have hooked you up. I don't need more so I didn't grab em.

Ooh, that stings. I take it they aren't up for sale any more?

I did see a pair for sale at a studio sellout down here a few months ago, but was broke at the time.

Interesting to hear how much the price on them varies.