Ddrum redshot triggers

Nov 6, 2006
Taylor, MI
Anybody have experience tracking drums with these? the acoustic series is unaffordable for me at the moment. Im worried about mistriggers and not recognizing dynamics mostly.

They work just fine for me. Are you going to use them with a module or just straight in to your interface? I find it's a little easier to prevent mistriggers using aptrigga/drumagog than it is with a module, since you have more control over the signal.

Ive only used redshot once and to be honest, I think theyre absolute shit. The one I did have gave up within a few days, and was mistriggering all over the show too. I bought a set of acoustic pros and have never looked back. I would definitely recommend saving the extra cash.

what i plan to do is record overheads and trigger all the shells running straight into my interface. Edit using the transients from the triggers and then replace with slate. i wont be using them live just in studio for drum replacement purposes.

Well, you may get away with them if you have the time to check for double/false triggering, and if you have time to make sure they are all set up well.
If possible, try get one off a mate or someone you may know to check them out first.

they are decent triggers, my only bitch is getting them to seat on some types of drums, and IMO the kick trigger is shit, i have had a lot better luck with the cheap pintech's on the kick.

The redshots are the same exact trigger as the pro's just different mounting and 1/4in instead of xlr. My old drummer bought them and they worked just as good as my ddrum pro triggers. So if you don't mind the mounting (on a drum lug) then go for them and save the money!

Personally, I'd go for the Pros. I bought the full pack after using the Pro kick trigger for countless live gigs and I love 'em! :)
The only problem I had (when recording) was with mistriggering (search my previous threads) but my toms & cymbals were mounted on a drum rack (excessive vibrations = crosstalk) and I was running the triggers into a module and recording the MIDI. If you have a good module you might have better success than I had.
As Unavailable said, he runs them straight into his interface for greater control which is something I've yet to try.
Having to mount the Redshots on a tuning lug is a fail IMO, I'd rather tune the kit nicely first, mount the Pros (they go onto the rim) and also mic the kit.

im thinking on selling all my drum mics and buy a set of triggers for the studio (i replace all the drums with slate drums anyway so...)
do you think is a good idea? they would go directly to the interface (presonus firestudio project)

my first idea was to buy an E-drum kit but i cant afford it right now

any advice on how and WHERE to put the triggers?

im thinking on selling all my drum mics and buy a set of triggers for the studio (i replace all the drums with slate drums anyway so...)
do you think is a good idea? they would go directly to the interface (presonus firestudio project)

my first idea was to buy an E-drum kit but i cant afford it right now

any advice on how and WHERE to put the triggers?

If you're going to sell your mics, please list what you have and how much you'd want for them! I might be interested in buying them.
I wouldn't bother with an e-kit. I have one and it simply cannot compare to recording an acoustic kit.
Get the Pro triggers, I mount the kick trigger at around 3-4 o'clock, toms vary between 10-3 o'clock, 6-12 o'clock for the snare, depending on mistriggering & crosstalk. They simply tighten onto the drum rim using a standard drum tuning key, the sensor rests against the drum head. The Pros have an XLR connection as opposed to the Redshot's 1/4" connection.
Hope the info helps.

DDrum Acoustic triggers are the way to go. Period! live or in the studio they deliver.

However do yourself a favor and tune the drums you are going to record properly with fresh skins and sample each tom the kick and snare and cymbals firsts.

Then track with mics and triggers and ether completely replace all the hits or reinforce the miced hits with the samples.

This works great for me and for the bands own sound and not some sound from a sample library!
I hate using samples mixed with the real room mics because they are not from the same kit... I love room mics compressed and distorted under the the main kit sound!

Hotstuff

I have the ability to mic all of the drums but im worried about drumagog not translating the dynamics very well. Ive edited drums that were triggered before and it was wayy easier to see the hits . although i could gate the signal. What i need to do is record stereo overheads,along with a room mic. All of the shells will be replaced later on. im going to be editing everything together. should i just buy slate samples and mic the kit, then edit and replace?

I have the ability to mic all of the drums but im worried about drumagog not translating the dynamics very well. Ive edited drums that were triggered before and it was wayy easier to see the hits . although i could gate the signal. What i need to do is record stereo overheads,along with a room mic. All of the shells will be replaced later on. im going to be editing everything together. should i just buy slate samples and mic the kit, then edit and replace?

I'd recommend going with OHs, 1 or 2 room mics, then triggers for the shells. As you said, it's much easier to replace from triggers than from real tracks

yes definitely a good idea, especially if you already replace the mic'd drums with slate samples. Makes quantizing and replacing way easier.

is there any difference between the red shot and the akustik triggers ? (besides the XLR and TRS connection)
in quality i mean..

If you do get misfiring and double to quad triggering, there is a very simple fix. First off let me ask, are you using it on a snare, and if so, are you using mesh heads? If yes to all of these, and you are getting a crap tone of false triggering you can stick a pillow in and set your velocity curve to about a 2-3 it will eliminate basically all of it, while still keeping a good sensitivity, make sure to tighten your head lot as well. Hope this helps.