Dead Heart in a Dead World

T

the fool

Having finally listened to the whole thing of Politics, I now can see the contrast between the older and newer cd's.

1. Politics is just more technical, although I do not think that was a priority on Dead Heart.

2. Politics seems to be more angry for the most part.

3. The songs are more catchy on Politics.

4. Dead Heart is, however, more atmospheric. The songs don't need to be as technical because they seem to be more focused on creating the mood. If you try to dissect them you will find less there, but thats also true for bands like Green Carnation, and Light of Day, Day of Darkness is not nu-metal (Trapped). The difference is nu-metal is not technical, but it just catchy, and has no really mood. However, I think this approach does not always work on Dead Heart, because although it is clearly evident on Evolution 169 and We Disintegrate, I never thought they were great tracks. And I still cannot condone Believe in Nothing, because although it is catchy, that is what ballads and nu-metal are supposed to be, catchy, simple, and obvious. I think Lotus Eaters, The Sorrowed Man, and The Passanger are much more subtle and creative.

5. Politics is definately thrash, albeit technical progressive thrash. Dead Heart seems to be less thrash, but not quite power. I'd say it is pretty much heavy metal.

all music creates its own moods , no music can be moodless

Politics has a much greater atmosphere... to me.

Some just relate to the moods and atmosphere of one creation and can't connect to others.

and Numetal is allowed to be as technical as it wants . from my experience the guitarwork causes the pigeonholing. The downtuned riffage can be layered over more technical work.

... trapped you think LoDDoD is numetal?

and the term "numetal" has been appearing far too greatly here as of late ...

Ha ha!

nooo

the thing that also contributes greatly to being numetal, is the lyrics and attitudes i suppose... which I can not relate to

all about whining, hating ...

downtuned muddy guitar riffs also appear in multitudes in stoner rock type genres, which i adore.

and when i say numetal can be as technical as it wants, that doesnt mean that it is, technical musicians know better than to create shit music... most of the time

ya hehehe its like this dipfuck on IRC right now picking me apart for my MP3 playing script,

[14:39] <Nvrmr> I'M FUCKING LISTENING TO Various Artists - Angel Dust - The One You Are AT THE FUCKING BITRATE OF 1408kbps - THE FUCKING SONG IS AT 6s OF 5m30s THIS IS FUCKING SONG NUMBER 64 OF FUCKING 65 IN MY FUCKING PLAYLIST

thats my mp3 script, with various colors thrown in so it do esnt look as jumbled... people need a life hehehe

If you try to dissect them you will find less there, but thats also true for bands like Green Carnation, and Light of Day, Day of Darkness is not nu-metal (Trapped).

Why Me? :err:

I've never said Green Carnation or LODDOD were nu-metal, hell, i've never even heard LOD... Green Carnation are boring as hell though, that doesn't make them nu-metal, and i have never said that.

4. Dead Heart is, however, more atmospheric. The songs don't need to be as technical because they seem to be more focused on creating the mood

Not true. Atmosphere is quite possibly why i love politcs so much. It's such a dark, moving album, it has such a strange atmosphere to it, agression is not really part of it, no, i disagree, that's not something i pick up in poe. Next in line is just about the most agressive nevermore song, especially the vocals, and yet i don't get that "agression" vibe from it. THat's not what the songs about, and that's not what atmosphere the song gives. The "I'm the pilot of my destruction..." is absolutely brilliant, that's one of the most atmospheric moments on any nevermore cd.

Dead Heart is linear... it is simple. At first glance, most people, yeah, would probably like it more than poe. It's catchy, well written, and simple. But there is absolutely no atmosphere on it, it's a totally barren cd in terms of atmosphere... this is partly due to the production, yeah, if the cd had the production of say, In Memory, i'd probably like it a little more than i do, but it doesn't have that, so it totally quashes any music dynamics... there's no fluctuation in tone and volume like on DNB, there's no multi layering of guitatr tracks like on poe, it's so stripped that even Metallicas Load has more atmosphere...!

5. Politics is definately thrash, albeit technical progressive thrash. Dead Heart seems to be less thrash, but not quite power. I'd say it is pretty much heavy metal.

The definition of Power metal has changed a hell of alot over the past few yeras... whats the bet if Dead Heart was released ten years ago, it would be "Power Metal", but since it was released now, it's something different... stupid genres!

It's nu-powermetal if anything. Simplified, downtuned guitars playing two/three note riffs on one string, big boomy catchy choruses... if it had john davis or kud singing on it, it would be called hardcore, or nu-metal.... but it's because of wd that it's even considered 'powermetal'.

And in all honesty, i don't beleive nevermore "Set out" to release a complex record when they wrote poe... it's way too good for that... the prog thing happened on the first cd too, there's a few strange time sigs here and there... odd bar numbers etc.