Death - Human

Rottuated

Live Free Or Die
Aug 9, 2003
Maryland, USA
Visit site
When I first listened to this album, I was a bit skeptical and more partial to Death's newer material than the older. However, after blasting this album in my car, I was stunned with awe. Then I realized why this album had received such high praise. This was a turning point for Chuck Schuldiner and Death. Human was Death's first effort to deliver speed, technicality, heaviness, and melody...and they succeeded!

It seems Chuck has matured with his lyrics, while his brutal death metal vocals remain the same. If you're a fan of death metal, this album is a must have. The riffs are raw, heavy, and fast. Sean Reinhart on drums, Paul Masvidal on guitar, Steve Digiorgio on bass, and of course Chuck Schuldiner on guitar and vocals makes Human one of the many shiny gems in the Death collection worth owning.

At this point in time, this was a huge step of advancement in Death's existence. Get this album as soon as possible if you haven't already!

My favorite song on Human:

See Through Dreams - The lyrics particularly intrigued me. Especially "close your eyes and imagine to be without what we take for granted every time we open our eyes". The opening riff drives this song with enough speed to tear your skin off. It also leads into the instrumental song (track 7); Cosmic Sea. It's harmonized nicely, and will blow your mind.

Comments are encouraged and welcome. ;)

It's good. The addition of the Cynic members helped a lot.

I still prefer the newer albums, because they still have even more melody.

Probably my 2nd favorite Death album, behind TSOP.... it used to be one of my least favorites because for some reason i just couldn't get into it so quickly like all the others.... but I just love the speed and kick-ass riffing of Human so much.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Probably my 2nd favorite Death album, behind TSOP.... it used to be one of my least favorites because for some reason i just couldn't get into it so quickly like all the others.... but I just love the speed and kick-ass riffing of Human so much.
For me, Human has a very raw sound to it...I don't know how else to describe it, but I like the raw and heavy sound.

tis a kickass album... its hard to rank it amongst the others because they all sound similar in ways. i still hafta say tsop is the best though

by the way,
"To those who dwell and drown themselves in negative elements (locally and beyond) you will go down alone...you know who you are and what you are. Worry about your own life, then you'll know what it's like to live, rather than merely exist."

Rottuated: thats a badass quote...tsop booklet eh?

bloody_trooper said:
tis a kickass album... its hard to rank it amongst the others because they all sound similar in ways. i still hafta say tsop is the best though

by the way,
"To those who dwell and drown themselves in negative elements (locally and beyond) you will go down alone...you know who you are and what you are. Worry about your own life, then you'll know what it's like to live, rather than merely exist."

Rottuated: thats a badass quote...tsop booklet eh?
Hell yes it is! :worship:

Human is and was the great turning point for Chuck to get more 'progressive' if i may say. IMO Individual and Symbolic really showed improvement especially in the lead guitar work. But all Death albums are great. First time i got interested in Death was sometime around Spiritual Healing was released. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Second Control Denied will never be released...

Human is an amazing album, but I find it impossible to pin-down what it is specifically I like about it; it's just kickass and I get the vibe from start to finish.