Death Is Gain: The artist behind MOS

Okay, today's post is the month of March, titled “Return to Summerland”.
03-DIG-CAL-2010-ReturnToSummer.jpg

This piece is about being away from the Lord for a while (the winter wasteland), and then returning (summer gardens with warm fruit). I wanted to have some art in the calendar that wasn’t all dark and gloomy. It was originally titled “Leaving Summerland” and had a little girl walking out of the nice forest into the gloomy winter, but I changed it to have a happier meaning. The title is a little reference to the King’s X song “Summerland”. Notice that winter is giving way to summer. My wife thinks that it should be a cover for a Heart album. :D

The verse:
Restore us, O Lord, and bring us back to you again!
Give us back the joys we once had!

Lamentations 5:21

a little question... what software do you use on these things?

Here is the artwork for May (I skipped April, because it was posted earlier as the artwork for February.)

"We Are But a Vapor" - This piece actually began as a girl sitting in a grassy opening of a forest, but I just couldn't get it the way I wanted it to. I wanted something not so gloomy, but still weighted in reality. Over all this piece took a long time. But when I found the right pieces, it fell in to place relatively quickly.

05-DIG-CAL-2010-ButAVapor.jpg

For He knows how weak we are; He remembers we are only dust.
Our days on earth are like grass; like wildflowers, we bloom and die.
The wind blows, and we are gone — as though we had never been here.
But the love of the Lord remains forever with those who fear him.

Psalm 103:14-17 a

"No Weapon Formed" - Now we are heating up the month of June. It seems that fire is becoming my trademark!

06-DIG-CAL-2010-NoWeaponFormed.jpg

No weapon that is formed against you will prosper
Isaiah 54:17

I'm sorry but it's really not to my liking... I can't be as rough as to say it's BAD, it's just not appealing to me, the last one makes little to no sense.

I'm sorry but it's really not to my liking... I can't be as rough as to say it's BAD, it's just not appealing to me, the last one makes little to no sense.

Now your rank makes sense to me *coughs* ok that was rude of me! lol! :OMG: Art does not always make sense. It does tell a story somewhat though. You criticize too much and never encourage? Why is that? criticism is good. But where is your encouragement? Criticism is made to build up not to tear down.

Often, art needs to be criticized and not encouraged. Since art is subjective in taste, if someone does not like something, they have a right to speak up about it, and I agree with him: while the artwork is good, the storyline is not making much since in terms of imagery. But, again, art is totally subjective, so I think that most intelligent artists are reconciled with the fact that some people may not like their work, and not let it get to them.

It's not really the storyline, as I see it each pictures has it's own story easily presented in a quote from the Bible, if I'm not mistaken.

It's just the images are either too flashy, or some parts are sticking out, it's just not working for me and I haven't commented so far thinking it would appeal to me later on, but it didn't, and I even showed the first two images to my friend, who's an art buff of sorts, and he was bold enough to state his disliking. (It's unfair to judge by one opinion, but I used him as an guideline...) I don't find that sort of criticism constructive but I will speak my mind and say it's going a wrong path.

Note: Ryan, if you believe harsh words aren't encouraging opposed to comments of praise you're mistaken. If the artist becomes contempt with himself how is he ever going to improve. I'm not saying this out of spite or malice, I'm just sharing the impression my eyes speak to me. If anything, I'm saying this in a way to assist Prometheus, even tho it seems highly unlikely.

It's not really the storyline, as I see it each pictures has it's own story easily presented in a quote from the Bible, if I'm not mistaken.

It's just the images are either too flashy, or some parts are sticking out, it's just not working for me and I haven't commented so far thinking it would appeal to me later on, but it didn't, and I even showed the first two images to my friend, who's an art buff of sorts, and he was bold enough to state his disliking. (It's unfair to judge by one opinion, but I used him as an guideline...) I don't find that sort of criticism constructive but I will speak my mind and say it's going a wrong path.

Note: Ryan, if you believe harsh words aren't encouraging opposed to comments of praise you're mistaken. If the artist becomes contempt with himself how is he ever going to improve. I'm not saying this out of spite or malice, I'm just sharing the impression my eyes speak to me. If anything, I'm saying this in a way to assist Prometheus, even tho it seems highly unlikely.

I know I know. I'm just saying. Try saying something nice for a change lol. Criticism is not all that is needed. Art is not really the way you were looking at it.

"Try saying something nice for a change"? Spoken like a true kid. I remember when I used to have that kind of unrealistic optimism. Then, I saw the real world. ;)

I've seen more than u could ever imagine. Optimism? LOL! I will not tell you the story though. I've only told a few people. It is way to dark to tell here. I only tell in private chats. good bye.

I've seen more than u could ever imagine. Optimism? LOL! I will not tell you the story though. I've only told a few people. It is way to dark to tell here. I only tell in private chats. good bye.

I cannot tell if you are trying to seem less naive, or simply attempting to be condescending.

Regardless, thinking that you are alone in facing darkness IS naive, so no matter which one you were attempting you failed.

Now, I suggest we get back on topic because
A) Fighting on the internet is pointless
and
B) The OP still has art to share, and I doubt he appreciates our little squabble.

LOL! It's all cool. I have never been an artist to take criticism harshly. It only makes me better. I also understand it is not for everyone, and that's okay with me. It's just like music. My worst critic is my wife! And that is one of the reasons I love her so much.

Aletheus, how does it not make sense?

Hmm... I really like the flaming horseman in your signature, even though your trademark flame is a tad flashy.

About the sense part... I mean the warrior defending against everything. It's just off, he's standing in the middle of a rocky area, with a stout shield, and an imperial sword. There are fires everywhere, and blood, it just doesn't seem fitting or smooth in appearance. It would make sense if it'd been written as to describe a battle in some medieval novel (allowing us to imagine the burning earth, and blood on the battlefield) but when you put it all in an image, with flashy contradicting colours it just strikes me as an image with talent being used in the wrong direction.

I'm pretty much shite when it comes to Photoshop or similar programs, but I can see your skills in this and I just think your potential lacks sharpening. The picture seems more like a screenshot from a documentary on roman battle tactics rather than an artists representation of the words he has in his mind.

A) Fighting on the internet is pointless
and

Agreed. BTW I agree I'm not alone in darkness but I have had quite a few crazy things happen I would rather not discuss here. They are a bit darker than most people's stories. That is for sure. You're just gonna have to trust me on this one. The people I've told this story freaked out when they did.