Death Metal (Old School) - Steven Slate Drums

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
Ok, I posted this song here before (can be found in thread http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...95555-old-school-death-metal-my-band-mix.html)

It was time for a new thread, though, because this remix is fairly significant. This is my first time using Steven Slate Drums (I now have Platinum!), and first time doing drum replacement in general. The kick and snare are all I replaced. The rest is the natural kit.
The drum replacement took forever. I used KTDrumtrigger to generate a MIDI track from the recorded kick and snare.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=19036

Let me know what you think. I can provide any details on the mixing/recording/mastering if you want. There's quite a bit of info in the previous thread, though.

Sounds fucking killer, loving the snare sound. I could really use something like that on the project I'm working on now, to bad I missed out on that awesome Sneap Forum deal. I Really dig the tone/playing of the solo, feels really Dismember-ish. Which is great. The only thing I would do is lower the kick, or make it stand out less. Like have it more thundering in the background, rather than slapping you in the face. But it works very well on the slower parts, so maybe just automate it lower for the faster stuff.

Thanks for the comment!

I know what you mean about the kick. Sometimes feel the kick is a bit "bloated" if you know what I mean. Using a limiter on the mix really brings out the bassyness of the kick and sort of makes it "explode." It sounds pretty great before I use Elephant. I actually reduced the lows on the kick by about 6 dB, but I guess I probably should have picked a less bassy kick to begin with anyhow.

I like the vocal style in this song a lot. It works really well and has a vibe that a lot of those old school kind of guys do, but there are some elements to it that sounds different and cool.

The guitar tone is great and it works really well in this style. The lead playing is great and the tone sits in the mix nicely.

I like the vocal style in this song a lot. It works really well and has a vibe that a lot of those old school kind of guys do, but there are some elements to it that sounds different and cool.

The guitar tone is great and it works really well in this style. The lead playing is great and the tone sits in the mix nicely.
Thanks man! I appreciate your comments. We take lots of influence from the old school, but try to retain some form of originality.

reminds me a bit of old Entombed... I really dig everything about it!

Which Slate samples did you use?
Old Entomed...good news! Haha. Guitar tone was modelled after Left Hand Path, and of course, there's some natural style influence going on as well haha. Thanks

Slate samples:
Kick is Kick 10
Snare is Snare 4

just to mention, I just checked out the previous mix and damn this one totally blew it to pieces! Really great job bro...

Haha Yeah. After tons of listens with the older mix, I noticed a few things to tweak, in addition to completely replacing the kick and snare. Thanks a lot!

I don't like the guitar sound, it ruins the mix IMO. Drums sound really really good though, very clear.

EDIT: I LOVE the solo tone. It's just the rythms that have a fuzzy horrible tone for my taste :erk:

Haha. Interestingly enough, the lead tone is the same exact recorded tone as the rhythms. The only difference is the rhythm guitars have EQ (sort of scooping) on them.

Haha. Interestingly enough, the lead tone is the same exact recorded tone as the rhythms. The only difference is the rhythm guitars have EQ (sort of scooping) on them.

I don't like the character on the rythms, it's like a big muff put in front of the amp!

I wouldn't like my own solo tone as rythm, nor viceversa, that's why I don't like that tone on rythms. It works for leads, but I wouldn't use it for anything else.

What's the chain?

I didn't mean to say the tones are the same in the mix, just that the settings on the pedal and amp and everything was the same when we did rhythms and leads. It is the post-EQ on the rhythms that (drastically) changes the tone.

Guitars, info in other thread as well:

Guitar (Schecter C-1 Blackjack on right channel, Gibson SG on left) ->
Boss HM-2 - Level, Low, and High all at full, distortion at 11 o'clock ->
5150 green channel - pre gain at 5.5, low 4, mid 3.5, high 6.5, post gain at 3 iirc, resonance at 6, presence at 6.5 ->
Splawn 4X12 cabinet (miked front, not back, of cab with 2 mics on 2 diff speakers) - SM57 on Eminence Governor in top left, Audix OM2 on Eminence Man o War in bottom left ->
Alesis io26 audio interface

The Man o War is a little louder than the Governor, but I left the levels the same in Sonar (DAW). I then used Voxengo CurveEQ to partially match the tone of the Governor to the guitar tone from Drowned by Entombed. Essentially, CurveEQ added maybe 6dB of bass, took out some low mids, and maybe added a bit of high mids. I then used that same EQ curve and put it on the Man o War track too.

That's it for the guitars. The overall EQ changed a little bit when I altered EQ on the master bus and during the mastering process.

Lead tone is practically untouched, iirc, other than a stereo delay. So its the same chain, but no CurveEQ.

Im diggin the song dude. It remembers me to the early Paradise Lost (in the doomy parts), just amazing.

Concerning the mix: I really think that you've done a great job with the guitar tone. It has the vibe of the 90's death metal. It's deep and very powerful. Great.

Drums sound much better with slate's drums!