Death Metal Type Riffing - 1 Min Sample 5150 & Slate

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
So I will be working with this new band in my studio this coming weekend and they were intersted in hearing a sample of what I could do in the studio with "Death Metal". I dont know if you would cosider this Death metal, but I programmed some drums quickly using the "Panty" kit in Slate then rung up a mid heavy tone on the 5150, and came up with a few quick riffs. The playing isn't very tight cause I normally don't even come close to playing this style of music. But for a "thrash" guy I think it came out pretty good.

I think its my best tone yet :)

Please feel free to comment.

http://www.jasoncohenitservices.com/Grotesque_Test.mp3

Hey dude, id personally say i think its pretty good, but if your asking for specifics on tone, id say i think you could eq the guitars in a way make it a little fatter :) Would love to here an updated mix with fatter guitars!

Kris

I think it sounds good and all, but I wouldn't really consider that death metal... more like The Haunted / Black Dahlia Murder / In flames style IMO. In that sense the tone fits that style perfectly, congrats. I'd consider that to be Melodic death/metal core though.

But if I was asked for a Death-metal style riff, I think it'd be more in vein with bands like Cannibal Corpse, Blood Bath, Nile, Behemoth, Abysmal Dawn, Cryptopsy etc etc. Hope that helps, maybe you can give them both style samples just to be sure since the term "death metal" is a bit broad since they weren't specific.

As for thin, this type of music really doesnt have a very "big" guitar sound

Don't know where you got that idea, but that's bs...

The guitars are just overly middy and too quiet. The result is that they sound really thin and tiny. The drums are drowning the guitars out big time.

Less mids, way more volume and it'll sound way better.