Slate Signature Kit sample

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
Actually got a break for 5 seconds to do something fun so I decided to finally test out Slate's new sample pack. This sample features the Deftones drumkit. Bass and guitars are all PODxt Gearbox. The Deftones kit in this sample pack sounds amazing (I think anyway). The snare has such a tight pop and it brings a smile to my face. Thank you Mr Slate.

Its only a 30 second test, I just wanted to some feedback on the drums.

Click here

Edit:
Remixed a 2nd version

Actually got a break for 5 seconds to do something fun so I decided to finally test out Slate's new sample pack. This sample features the Deftones drumkit. Bass and guitars are all PODxt Gearbox. The Deftones kit in this sample pack sounds amazing (I think anyway). The snare has such a tight pop and it brings a smile to my face. Thank you Mr Slate.

Click here
your clips are some of the only pod tones that actually sound like a real amp!
this tone sounds extremely close to a well miced mesa... good job on that man!!

the samples do sound quiet amazing

Sweet sound! That poppy little snare does have Abe mojo all over it. Strangely enough, that wasn't the thing that caught my attention. What the hell is used or going on with that floor tom? Sounds beast!

Click here

Sounds good as always. :kickass: Hey what song did you copy the frequency response from on your guitars? They always sound so big.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late reply. The whole drumkit is totally out of the box and there is no EQ, compression or anything except for a minor kick EQ. The kit is the Tonedef kit except I used Slate's "Qik toms" instead of the default one. Tom 4 is the one you're hearing. After listening on real speakers, it definitely needs a lot of work.

This particular sample was actually played by my real drummer on his TD20 after we finally got his gear up and running. He's been a real pisser to please as far as drum sounds go and this is first one that actually made him smile. He does not care for any of my other drum sounds on the songs I have programmed. On the flip side, the other 2 guys in the band don't like the new snare at all! So now I don't know what the hell to do but I personally like the tight pop to this particular snare.

There are two guitar EQ curves going on. One is directly from my old 5150 through a Marshall 1960 cab and the other one is taken from the intro of "Storm" by Devin Townsend.

Fuck, that's such a good idea. I'm going to do that with all the 'lone guitar parts' I dig, now!

i do this all the time, whenever i find a cd i like ill try to get a clip from one of the choruses for a 'mix' curveeq file and one from a soloed guitar section

i do this all the time, whenever i find a cd i like ill try to get a clip from one of the choruses for a 'mix' curveeq file and one from a soloed guitar section

a few years back I tried that method.....the results were good but it didn't make me a better engineer :(

Curve EQs (I Used Firium) often lead to VERY drastic changes in the guitartone....in that case I'd always prefer to reamp again and tweak the amp-settings, mic-position. I NEVER do more to my guitars EQ-Wise than HP/LP and max 2 cuts/boost of 3dB max....If I had to I'd rather re-record and tweak the amp again.

Using curve-EQ to really match a curve will make it a copy of another sound (perhaps even a good copy)....but even the best copy is still a bent sound that wasn't that good in the first place....try to get it right in the recording.
Only that way you'll improve as an engineer and learn about micing amps etc IMO....same thing with Impulses...nice stuff but why not getting better in micing amps yourself?

bigger Bands/Labels will never pay you good money for just copying the sound of Andy, Colin, whoever....I Think it's important to develop a more unique style to make it in this biz....Colin and Andy did ;)

Of course I'm using reference CDs as well...would be stupid not to do so, but I'd highly advice not to use matching EQs etc.

sorry for OT but that's actually the main reason I'm not listening to alot of samples in the RMM-Section...all the threads saying "DFH+POD+GH-Impulses" are WAY less interesting IMO then threads like "my first miced drumkit" or "recto+1960...pop" or whatever threads that make me hear new recorded tones and make me learn and broaden my view....instead of listening to the same DFH and POD tones over and over again ;)

to the OP: mix cold use some work but the drumsamples sound cool IMO!

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late reply. The whole drumkit is totally out of the box and there is no EQ, compression or anything except for a minor kick EQ. The kit is the Tonedef kit except I used Slate's "Quick toms" instead of the default one. Tom 4 is the one you're hearing. After listening on real speakers, it definitely needs a lot of work.

This particular sample was actually played by my real drummer on his TD20 after we finally got his gear up and running. He's been a real pisser to please as far as drum sounds go and this is first one that actually made him smile. He does not care for any of my other drum sounds on the songs I have programmed. On the flip side, the other 2 guys in the band don't like the new snare at all! So now I don't know what the hell to do but I personally like the tight pop to this particular snare.

There are two guitar EQ curves going on. One is directly from my old 5150 through a Marshall 1960 cab and the other one is taken from the intro of "Storm" by Devin Townsend.

Cool, :headbang:

Good mix as always. The snare is better but the kick needs some more work. The snare could be snappier, maybe you should compress it a bit more and let the attack go through for a punchier sound.