Slate Signature Kit sample

Yeah, there could be more crack in that snare. As it stands, there is still no compression or eq on it. I just upped the Z4 room mics a bit for more ambiance.

Frank, I'm actually loving the new kick right now. What don't you like about it? For what its worth, I don't really want a 'metal' kick for this type of material and neither does the drummer.

sorry for OT but that's actually the main reason I'm not listening to alot of samples in the RMM-Section...all the threads saying "DFH+POD+GH-Impulses" are WAY less interesting IMO then threads like "my first miced drumkit" or "recto+1960...pop" or whatever threads that make me hear new recorded tones and make me learn and broaden my view....instead of listening to the same DFH and POD tones over and over again ;)

thats exactly why i think labeling what you used before someone listens is bullshit....because they already prejudgeing what its going to sound like before they listen

I liked it a lot. Steve did a wonderful job capturing the White Pony feel. And your guitar tone totally rocks, as always.

Yes, Steve did a great job!

I'm glad you like the guitar tone. I'm always a bit insecure about it going on a 'real' album when we finish it over the next year or two since it is a POD and sounds a bit plastic to me. I was planning on redoing everything with Revalver III when it comes out. Do you think the guitars are album ready as they are now?

i think mix 2 sounds awesome, maybe a little more volume on the bass drum in general, listening in headphones, what your capable of with this stuff is flat out inspiring, those slate deftones sounds kick ass,

I like mix 2 better, but the first one sounded great to me also. You are the reductio ad absurdum to anyone who says you can't get a pro sound with amp sims and samples. Your POD tone sounds better than most people's real amp recordings.

Thanks for the kind words!

I did a 3rd version, brought the kick up a little, and brought down the L2 limiter a bit to let it breathe some more. Also, thanks for the feedback which helps me get closer to a finished product!

On a side note, I think I finally found a pickup I really love. I used my Ibanez S520EX on this. I initially replaced the stock INF pickups with an EMG81 out of my Hamer. It sounded great, but I don't like EMG's for playing full resonating chords. I can't seem to make out individual notes very well with it. Then I replaced the EMG with a Seymour Duncan Distortion. It sounded good too, but not what I was looking for. Finally, I went out on a limb and got a Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker. This pickup is made for Mahogany guitars, it seems. Every note is crystal clear when chorded and the pick attack is still great for more metal stuff.

That was awesome, as usual Splat.

What kind of POD patches were you using? Also, if its not too much trouble, what type of Curves are you using in the Voxengo? I've been fiddling around with mine, but sort of need some direction.

I'm glad you like the guitar tone. I'm always a bit insecure about it going on a 'real' album when we finish it over the next year or two since it is a POD and sounds a bit plastic to me. I was planning on redoing everything with Revalver III when it comes out. Do you think the guitars are album ready as they are now?

I believe that revalver mkII (and hopefully mkIII) sounds better that POD. Personally I don't agree with using a pod for a full length album. Someone mentioned symphonyX for example...their latest album would be so much better with a real amp. As for meshuggah their guitar tone on DEI and chaosphere is far superior from any of their new ones...
Maybe you should also give reamping a try.

That said, the guitar tone you have on most of your clips wouldn't prevent me from buying your album.

On a side note, I think I finally found a pickup I really love. I used my Ibanez S520EX on this. I initially replaced the stock INF pickups with an EMG81 out of my Hamer. It sounded great, but I don't like EMG's for playing full resonating chords. I can't seem to make out individual notes very well with it. Then I replaced the EMG with a Seymour Duncan Distortion. It sounded good too, but not what I was looking for. Finally, I went out on a limb and got a Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker. This pickup is made for Mahogany guitars, it seems. Every note is crystal clear when chorded and the pick attack is still great for more metal stuff.

Ive got a JB in my Ibanez, its a nice pickup eh! Great output yet nice and organic i guess.