Death- Symbolic

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
Probably my favorite album, I can listen to it on repeat. 1000 eyes rules!

What's the production going on here? Guitars are 8100? Sounds like this was the only professionally produced album they did compared to modern albums. :popcorn:

I strongly dislike this album and it's production, and the cover.

Basically I like to pretend it doesn't exist, in an otherwise stellar Death catalogue.

<3 this album!

Kick drum though.....needs moar click or something. It's cool listening to older stuff (old Metallica, Slayer, etc) where you can hear (what sounds like) the real kick drum sound instead of clicky clacky triggered hits.

Probably my favorite album, I can listen to it on repeat. 1000 eyes rules!

What's the production going on here? Guitars are 8100? Sounds like this was the only professionally produced album they did compared to modern albums. :popcorn:

+1 haha, definitely my favorite musically and production-wise. I do think TSOP sounds well-mixed/engineered as well, but much "colder," and musically very silly and disorganized (I used to think it was impressive, now I just think it's too over-the-top, but still has some great moments)

TSOP is my favorite musically, and sounds absolutely great. i like how real and raw everything sounds, yet there's a great seperation between everything.
symbolic is musically great, too, but i hate the production....guitar tone is cool, drums and vocals = meh

The production honestly just sounds kinda fucked up to me, like absolutely nothing is glued together properly or something like that.
The mix just doesn't sound 'right' to me at all.
Music is top notch though, it can't be anything less than that seeing as how Chuck Schuldiner was involved

The production honestly just sounds kinda fucked up to me, like absolutely nothing is glued together properly or something like that.

That's exactly how I feel about it, and the latest Decrepit Birth record too.
The different textures don't sit well with each other at all.

when I 1st heard it one of my 1st thoughts was "my god, Gene Hoglan is just unbelievable"

and now all I can think of is how much he's IMPROVED since then

Definitely one of my top 3 Death albums ... can never tell which is #1 cause its so dependent on my mood but its there with Leprosy and Human

when I 1st heard it one of my 1st thoughts was "my god, Gene Hoglan is just unbelievable"

Definitely one of my top 3 Death albums ... can never tell which is #1 cause its so dependent on my mood but its there with Leprosy and Human

While I like everything Death has done, not a huge fan of Leprosy admittedly. Can't say I've listened to the debut album for perhaps about 3 years now either.
I feel that the band really found their element when they got to "Human".
Everything from Human onwards is pretty much the sex to me.

Love it. Love the songwriting, love the production. The only thing that would have made it a step better is if DiGiorgio had stuck around for the recording of it.

Empty Words
Perennial Quest
Misanthrope

All Class A !

TSOP wasn't Hoglan, it was Christy. I think the production is ok but I prefer Symbolic both in terms of songs and production. I still love all of their records though.

I dig symbolic, but Human and Individual Thought Patterns are my favourites. Especially Human and it's gorgeous Scott Burns production. Smooth and delicious mmmmm