Death - The sound of perseverance

Don't remember "Voice of the Soul" . It makes me cry.

I think Sombolic, Individual..., and Human is much better than The Sound... I dont like the highpitched vocals and the drums are not as good on The sound... But what the fuck, Chuck was king. Death has been my fave-band for 12 years now.

Leprosy is my favourite traditional death metal album ever. TSOP is great but I don't really like the screeching vocals and the production is a bit thin - the guitars aren't as fat as they should be.
The cover of Painkiller is fucking awesome though, turn it up LOUD!!

I agree that Chuck had the ability to keep writing albums that get constantly better. TSOP is by far Death's best.... any criticisms anybody has about the album, I can completely disagree with... for example, I think the production is killer.... TSOP is a PERFECT album. There are only a couple perfect albums out there, and TSOP was one of them.

It was almost as if Chuck was too good for this world.

While it's not my favorite Death album it still rules. I agree that the production was the best ever by Death. I remember wondering why the production for Control Denied which was released a year later was not nearly as good.

SunlapseVertigo said:
I agree that Chuck had the ability to keep writing albums that get constantly better. TSOP is by far Death's best.... any criticisms anybody has about the album, I can completely disagree with... for example, I think the production is killer.... TSOP is a PERFECT album. There are only a couple perfect albums out there, and TSOP was one of them.

It was almost as if Chuck was too good for this world.

The technicality on the later Death releases is stunning. Brilliant guitar and Chuck's hired madmen always performed to the limits of their ability.
However and probably because it was the first Death album I heard way back when it was first released Leprosy still gets me with its seemingly simple chugging but paint blistering vocal attack and brutality.
Left to Die and that ungodly scream..... What is that all about Mummy...
geez.. it was my first real exposure to Death and death metal. A true metal moment.

I wish he'd toss in a clean vocal or something once in a while, cause his are kinda sinister-sounding. And that high shriek gets a little grating after a while.

yeh, the sound of perseverance is an amazing album, as is symbolic, i love THAT riff in "Crystal Mountain". i think both albums are full of excellent ideas.

Sound od persevance is exellent. It is independent and yet if you hear it right after Symbolic it sounds like a logical sequence.

The Sound of Perseverance was the first Death album I bought, and I loved it the first time I listened to it. Chuck really pushed his vocals to the limit on this album, especially on Painkiller. I tend to like all of the Death albums (anything made by Chuck rules), but TSoP stands out the most for me, for it's heaviness and complexity.

Voice of The Soul almost made me cry once, I think.