circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Deathspell Omega – Kénôse
Southern Lord Recordings – 2005
By Jason Jordan

dsok.jpg

Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice. Remember that album? Of course you do. It’s the one that broke barriers, and in effect launched Deathspell Omega to the summit of black metal. The menacing Frenchmen have returned with an appendix to their masterpiece, a thirty-six minute EP known as Kénôse, and as with their other records, there’s a lot to like. Above all, though, this is the best BM effort I’ve heard all year.

Despite the fact that this is an EP, it’s a lengthy affair. The first track – “I” – grabs for the sixteen-minute mark and barely misses. Its commencement is unnerving insomuch that the sparse, foreboding instrumentation hints at sinister things to come. Essentially, it’s like a horror movie: you know someone’s gonna get killed, but it’s just a matter of when. After the procession vibe dissipates and once the choir speaks of looming infamy, Deathspell Omega burst into a frenzy and don’t let up until they’re sure they’ve pounded the listener into the ground. The transition at 7:50, from an unrelenting whirlwind approach to a slower assault littered with tons of cascading riffs, is abrupt but the band pulls it off. Similarly, when they return to the softer side at 13:05, the transition is quite sudden. Unlike “I,” “II” doesn’t toy around. The black metal leanings of “II” start slowly, but evolve to an Immortal-esque speed while the slippery, winding riffs petition to be rewound. (You’re not going to catch everything on your first trip through.) “III,” clocking in at nine minutes, is the underdog though it comes out swinging to compensate for brevity. Deathspell Omega become a veritable blur at this point, up until 2:00 when they ditch the BM for ambience. However, black metal’s sabbatical is short, as it reenters promptly thereafter and carries the song to its demise.

Sporting a massive booklet, stunning art direction, and thirty-six minutes of 2005’s finest black metal, Kénôse is not to be overlooked. You’ve got to trust me on this one. Fuck the rest of the conclusion. Just go get this.

9/10

Official Southern Lord Recordings Website