decent single preamp

chdrummer

Oct 24, 2007
im using the saffire pro 40 and a sm7b. really want a preamp to drive the mic a little harder. any suggestions? something more on the cheap side.

not trying to go over 500 on this. cheap as possible without sounding like shit lol. just a all around preamp. vocals, acoustics

EDIT: Nevermind i just saw your asking for a single channel... my bad.

How about a Focusrite ISA One? You could eventually upgrade it with the digital card and have some good converters built into it. They'd work great on vocals. Its about the only thing i can think of without going lunchbox that's in that price range that would be a considerable upgrade to what you already have. Not much under 500$ will make much of a difference compared to your saffire pre's.

I highly recommend going with a Seventh Circle Audio kit if you have any experience with a soldering iron. You can get a clean T15 preamp along with the chassis and power supply for $399. It's easy to assemble as long as you follow the directions. The best part is you get 8 slots so you can add 7 more pres in the future. And those kits are real cheap -- the Neve clone is like $330 and a second T15 is only $89.

ill look into it. i know some people that are good at soldering so i could get them to do it so i dont fuck it up haha

Golden Age Projects Pre 73 has 80db of gain and has been getting rave reviews on gearslutz. Couple of guys here have them too and have all said they really like them.