Deep Purple retrospective

This should be interesting, especially for real old schoolers like myself

am I the only one who likes Maybe Im a Leo ?

Yes :p.

Well actually I kind of like it too but for old classic material of the Mk.II, I prefer Anyone's Daughter for the lesser know songs.

To me a highlight of that DVD it has a performance of 'Hallelujah' one of the best sings of the Mk.I era.

This should be interesting, especially for real old schoolers like myself

It's a good song. Everything from In Rock through The House of Blue Light is essential listening. I hold Purple in equal esteem as Sabbath. Both the Gillan and Coverdale/Hughes eras are amazing. I liken they successful vocal switch to the Ozzy/Dio switch. I'd be the first to say Ian Gillan is un-replaceable, but somehow they did just that. Plus, Ritchie is one of those few crazy-good guitar players that just surprises me constantly. His stuff is so hard to play, and so unique.

Everything from In Rock through The House of Blue Light is essential listening.

HoBL never appealed to me... Perfect Stranger is okay but not up to par with any of the 70s stuff.

Plus, Ritchie is one of those few crazy-good guitar players that just surprises me constantly. His stuff is so hard to play, and so unique.

Tell that to the kids and they won't believe you ;)
Ritchie's phrasing and the nuances in his playing are unbeatable! :worship:

Glad to hear others like Leo, one of my bands played the song on my request, something about the rhythm that got me. I think.

I'm not as huge a fan as most of you seem to be, I did still play the hell out of MH back in the day, but for some reason took to Heep more than Sabbath and Purple, which seems odd as they were lesser musicians and overly redundant. MH is the only album I owned by Purple, anything else I heard was borrowed. I think after MH my friends and I were showing more interest in Rush, Tull and Rainbow, speaking for us kids back then we didnt have the money to throw down on every record that came out as seems to be the case today. So we had to think what we really wanted to hear before dropping our only $5... then I think we had a psychological problem about Purple with no Gillan, stupid now but we were kids.

I agree that Ritchie had his unique voicing, most guitar players did back then actually as they were more independent and out there on their own, carving an unexplored path, hell there was only about ten note worthy guitar players in rock. Today their is thousands and that is boring

Lazy is still one of my all time favorite songs

'Pictures Of Home' is one hell of an ass kicker song. When Deep Purple played here years ago and they did it I was transfixed in front of the stage.