Deep Purple

Igor_Cavalera

Apr 27, 2004
Australia
I was surprised to see people naming Deep Purple in the thread about what non-metal music you listen to.

I've always considered the majority of Deep Purple to be Heavy Metal, except for the really early stuff. But from the 70's onwards I consider them to be Heavy Metal.

Any thoughts on this?

I thought Soundmaster's original idea was to find out what other genres of music us metalheads listen to. When I responded to that thread, I automatically discarded anything that could remotely be considered hard rock or heavy metal.

Maybe some took his "non-metal" reference a little bit too technically?

To me, Deep Purple, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Skynyrd, UFO, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, Scorpions, KISS, it's all some form of metal to me. It's all based on loud distortion guitar and rock tempo beats.

As far as I'm concerned, you are correct, Igor. Deep Purple is metal. The riff from Smoke on the Water is dead proof of that.

Their latest album, Bananas, is absolutely kick ass, although I will admit it doesn't technically qualify as "metal".

I agree with TSO (dude you need a shorter name.) The line between what is hard rock and metal is very gray. In fact, it is the same in other genres as well. Even if Deep Purple really aren't "metal" they are fathers of it.
Though not a fan of their entire catalog, when asked my all-time favorite metal albums, AC/DC's "Back in BLack" is always in there, and certainly at least their early stuff is not metal in my ears. I think categorizing music is a necessary evil for convenience purposes, but it is a very slippery prospect and what one may consider metal. others may not. Deep Purple would certainly fall into the category of a band that could be considered both. The same thing happens within sub-categories. What defines thrash or powermetal or prog or... anything ?

Bryant

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
How much shorter can you get than TSO? That is my preferred interprtetation or you can call me Ryan, by name. Some folks call me "Trans", but everytime they do I keep looking down my shirt hoping to see boobs growing. No luck so far.....

Ryan works fine for me. I have yet to meet anyone named TSO. Of course since my wife is Japanese I think it could be possible. : /

When those boobs do start growing will you send me a picture ? J/K of course.

Bryant

To me, Deep Purple, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Skynyrd, UFO, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, Van Halen, Scorpions, KISS, it's all some form of metal to me. It's all based on loud distortion guitar and rock tempo beats.

As far as I'm concerned, you are correct, Igor. Deep Purple is metal. The riff from Smoke on the Water is dead proof of that.
As usual, I wholeheartedly agree with TSO. Deep Purple is the living definition of metal! The heavy riffs, the distorted bass, the HEAVY-AS-F*CK organ of Lon Lord, the piercing wails of Ian Gillan (and later, the heavy blues & soul of Coverdale and Hughes), the rapid-fire, yet emotional, solos of DR BLACKMORE (doctor in the arts of guitar!), the sure-handed backdrop laid down by Paicey!

Their 1970 opus, "In Rock", is CLEARLY the heavist record released that year. It's, IMO, heavier than the first two Sabbath discs! For proof, download the following tunes:

Speedking
Into the Fire
Child In Time

Of course, they never really had that "dark vibe" of Sabbath, or even Zep. However, Richie Blackmore, like Page & Geezer, was rumored to have dabbles in the dark arts.

In my view, the holy triumverant (sp?) of metal is the union of:
Led Zep
Black Sab
Deep Purple

Igor_Cavalera said:
I was surprised to see people naming Deep Purple in the thread about what non-metal music you listen to.

I've always considered the majority of Deep Purple to be Heavy Metal, except for the really early stuff. But from the 70's onwards I consider them to be Heavy Metal.

Any thoughts on this?
My opinion is that Deep Purple is metal, so I will never post them in that thread. Same goes for AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Scorpions, Praying Mantis, etc.

Wyvern said:
My opinion is that Deep Purple is metal, so I will never post them in that thread. Same goes for AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Scorpions, Praying Mantis, etc.
I agree, they're all metal to me too. (Except for some albums here and there)

I consider them more of a borderline band like Rainbow, Scorpions, UFO and Thin Lizzy. Like them, they can go either way, but when i replied on that non-metal thread, i ruled out only bands that were full on metal.

Some folks call me "Trans", but everytime they do I keep looking down my shirt hoping to see boobs growing. No luck so far.....

You stole my tranny joke... God, I hate you...
:yuk:

I keep looking down my shirt hoping to see boobs growing. No luck so far.....
My cousin is a plastic surgeon.

Boy howdy, I sure am tempted, Igor! I've always said, "If I had boobs, I'd never have to leave my house!". Hey Wyvern, ya think your cuz would give me the "family" discount? :D
Sure. I get a commision for every victim, errr..I meant patient.

The guy is a wonder, look what he did with a Coke can:

othersexual06.jpg