deftones - koi no yokan

Heard about half of it on youtube so far. Amazing, can't wait to pick up the CD at the store next week

HDTracks released the 96khz/24bit version of it. Crushes the CD in quality. Go pick it up.

sorry to sidetrack but i always tried to figure this out and was lazy to do serious research. but if something wasn't recorded/mixed at 96 or 192 what do they do upsample it? in that case, what is the benefit from a purity standpoint?

on edit: what i do get is if it was from an analog master but what about if the album is delivered as 24bit/XXkhz wav/aiff file?

Not all HDtracks are upsampled. I've gotten 44.1khz/24bit releases and some 48khz/24bit as well. Just depends on the album. Older ones recorded to tape tend to get 96khz, but some modern albums are at 48khz (Hybrid Theory is one I believe). Its nice to get high quality copies without having to resort to vinyl rips.

The new Deftones album is far superior on HDtracks, not nearly as squashed and sounds much deeper.

You probably gain more with the increased bitrate, but there's a difference. The HDTracks version is a different master, much more dynamic range (not brickwalled)