Deftones or (old) Pantera...

dreaming neon darkspot

natures' retard
May 13, 2002
in times of grace
The 11 year old skater punk Hellspawn living in my house just put on the Cowboys from Hell CD (which I don't think I'll ever get back from him) as opposed to the Deftones CD I let him listen to, since he's a skater punk and I've heard that skater punks are supposed to like this band or something...

I think I'd like the get a nice objective opinion from people that seem to hate both bands equally...

SunlapseVertigo said:
Both are good

except really old pantera

ExposedPantera.jpg

ExposedPantera7.jpg

ExposedPantera9.jpg

ExposedPantera10.jpg

that last one was from 1988

pantera has that 1 super good riff on 'cemetary gates' other than that im pretty sure they totaly suck. deftones arent particularly great either, but they never looked as fruity as pantera does in those pics above. its a tough call.
-neal

Wasnt one of the pre -cowboys.... albums actually called "power metal" or some shit?

But the lastcouple of Pantera albums rocked. Floods takes the piss out of everything they've every done though.

I like Pantera, I reallydo. I think Pantera is Great. They ARE the Cowboys
from Hell, but they're really from Texas where it can be hotter than hell
some days. Everything's bigger in Texas. I like Bigger, I really do!
Bigger is just great! I can't get enough when I'm in Texas!
I get higher than a Georgia Pine!
I love all their albums. those albums are finer than frog hair.
And they have great strip club down there too, I had
a VIP there once. Very Immense Penis. nice girls. real sweet
and helpful! always willing to give me a hand!
They took care o' me I tell you, I had a nice time,
a real nice time! I was happier than a swine in shit.

I watch my boys, the Secret Service beat the livin
tar outta each other when I play these records.
In my opinion, the Deftones are a bunch o' whiny sissy-mary cryin
in their grits faggots.

Rock on my headbangin where the down boys go bubbas

I'm fixin go smoke a couple joints.

-Bill

DND. Share this article with the demonspawn and see what he has to say:

http://www.darksonus.com/articles/numetal.html

It's a critique of nu-metal by an 80's metal head that is now a professional guitar instructor. Some of my favorite parts:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The thing that amazes me the most about nu-metal fans is their belief that their music is HEAVIER than any music before. To quote one of my students concerning a Mudvayne CD: "I can't listen to it for too long because it is soooo heavy!" I listened to a few songs, completely unimpressed, and proceeded to put on some old Mayhem (the black metal band from Norway); his jaw dropped in disbelief by how brutal that was compared to Mudvayne. Then I had to explain a few things to him:[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Me: "Look, I know this stuff seems heavy to you... but trust me, there is nothing that you could show me that will blow me away. I grew up on Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth... as well as listened to bands like Voivod, Kreator, Coroner and Obituary. It doesn't get much more caustic than that."[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Student: "Ummm......" (Still in shock from the Mayhem song.)"[/font]​

and:

"On the other end of the spectrum are Linkin Park. Where Slipknot fails to be heavy these guys don't even try. To my ears Linkin Park are the modern Poison without any talent... contemplate the meaning of that last phrase very carefully. "

That article rules.

especially this part:

For teens nowadays I suppose it must really suck when they figure out that a lot of thirtysomethings listen to more abrasive music than the so-called 'bad-ass' teenagers of today.