Demilich re-release and new material

heliotrope said:
Calling Demilich a "progressive death metal" band does a grave disservice to the real progressive death metal bands; Opeth and Farmakon to name just a few.

Far be it from me to label Demilich as bad, but I will say for myself that if I want to hear someone gargling, I'll go to the dentist.

Wow, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on many things, Helio, but that post was incredibly ignorant.

I like Demilich because they're Finnish.
I like Children of Bodom because they're Finnish.
I like Enter My Silence because they're Finnish.
I like Satanic Warmaster because they're Finnish.
I like Deathchain because they're Finnish.

Finnish men are awesome! I love 'em!

Most metal "progressive" bands are made by those who couldn't cut it as progressive bands.

I like most things Finnish... Amorphis, Demigod, Adramelech, Beherit, Impaled Nazarene, Belial, Demilich.

prozak said:
Opeth is mocked, deservedly, by real prog bands and fans.
Naturally. Making a genre "progressive" doesn't reconcile it with the (often intolerable) 200-proof "progressive" bands.

What's Farmakon like? Hopefully not the same pointless crap as Opeth and Arcturus.
I don't think you'd like them. Perhaps that's presumptuous of me, but I doubt they're your type.

Will someone please tell me why Demilich is "progressive" because of their "unique" rifts? That in and of itself is hardly grounds for the label.

heliotrope said:
Will someone please tell me why Demilich is "progressive" because of their "unique" rifts? That in and of itself is hardly grounds for the label.

Bizarre timings & song structures, use of thematic development, etc.

Why should Opeth be labelled "progressive" just because they have long songs and alternate between different genres?

polarity said:
Bizarre timings & song structures, use of thematic development, etc.
That's not progressive. Progressive, by definition, is moving forward and changing. Demilich, strange as their riffs and structure might be, sound precisely the same throughout their album.