Demon Hunter.......

EtherForBreakfast

Hamster Style
Jun 19, 2005
I caught a vid from these guys on Ballbangers Head last night. Apparently they are a christian band.

5150's with the typical mix of cookie and clean vox. Had a really strong, semi-gay sounding chorus.

Anyone know this band?

Here is the vid:

http://www.solidstaterecords.com/video_details.php?id=86

I guess it sounded better last night after a 6'er of Heineken. Heh.

Still might be some potential there.

Here's some fun trivia. The singer and his brother, who's the other guitarist, are the owners of Asterik Studios. They create a TON of CD artwork for the CD itself, the booklet, etc. Not only that, but Tshirts and stuff. Chances are, if its heavy, they've had a part in making the artwork for it...they do so many big name acts.

Check it out...look it up with google.

:err: not diggin the video or song, but i see potential! i can't seem to figure out if they are doing something completely different or just trying to do the same shit as everyone else but just not suceeding. they came in with that pre-beat down a little too strong, and then the main beatdown just led into another gay glassjaw chorus. the drums do sound very quantized and overcompressed. when are musicians gonna start making this kinda shit by themselves? this is kinda off topic but if you wanna hear BEATDOWNS listen to Deadwater Drowning. i don't think they are even together anymore but they released one album that knocks the socks off every newskool hxc album besides dillinger and between the buried and me. also the first norma jean album is crucial! it must be fun stuff to mix!:p

I hate christian metal bands.. just cuz its such a lame thing to do, IMO.. its like a gay metal band, or a hippie metal band... or any of that.. just seems kinda weird and ridiculous to me.

Then again, Im an asshole.

I've been a fan of Demon Hunter for a few years now, I enjoy their music. They're from Seattle, where I live, and I can tell you that they're extremely nice guys to talk with. I go to most of the metal shows that roll through town, and I see the singer and brother at many of them, rocking out just like everyone else. Demon Hunter isn't out to capture a certain market or to fit a certain musical criteria, their music is a reflection of their personalities and of their musical preferences. The clean choruses are there because they like them there. And as for the lifeless drum sound, that observation is definitely a result of the compressed low-quality audio stream. Their latest album, "The Triptych" was mixed by Machine, and he did a great job. And, I'm not sure who mixed their previous album, "Summer of Darkness", but that album is great as well, and it features Brock from 36 Crazyfists on a track, and Howard from Killswitch Engage on another.

Nothing wrong with Christian metal bands!
Theres a whole lot of shitty secular metal bands out there!
The way I see it is people have to be more open to other styles of music.Whether it be diff. types of metal or a song from Blink182?..
Anyway point being that there are alot of bands out there that are willing to break out of there shell and do some different stuff.I think they deserve some credit for that!
I deal will so many bands where there ego's have ego's..thats how bad they are.And it pisses me off cause if people were just a little more open I think music would get a hell of a lot better!

J the TyranT said:
I hate christian metal bands.. just cuz its such a lame thing to do, IMO.. its like a gay metal band, or a hippie metal band... or any of that.. just seems kinda weird and ridiculous to me.

Then again, Im an asshole.

rofl wow ur such an ass dude. lol :yuk:

but on a serious note, i like passionate bands, and if their passion is fueled by christ, zao, norma jean, as i lay dying, then so be it. i'm not into religion, i'm not even christian, (but i think jesus existed and was a great guy until my people killed him but thats a diff story.) anways, its like saying, i dont listen to the doors cus im sXe, cus druggies are lame. not trying to start an argument dude i'm just making an example. i rather hear this shit than contemporary christian music but personally, i prefer to get fucked up, play metal and worship satan. :loco: cus thats how we get down in brooklyn!

xmidihcx said:
rofl wow ur such an ass dude. lol :yuk:

but on a serious note, i like passionate bands, and if their passion is fueled by christ, zao, norma jean, as i lay dying, then so be it. i'm not into religion, i'm not even christian, (but i think jesus existed and was a great guy until my people killed him but thats a diff story.) anways, its like saying, i dont listen to the doors cus im sXe, cus druggies are lame. not trying to start an argument dude i'm just making an example. i rather hear this shit than contemporary christian music but personally, i prefer to get fucked up, play metal and worship satan. :loco: cus thats how we get down in brooklyn!

What the hell did you just say? :confused:

I dont know.. it's just weird... like how rap music for years was about urban life as a minority in america... and its hard, raw, and edgy... and now, its fucking weak.. it's this lame "bling bling" bullshit that's all about being cool, tough, and all this glory and glamour... so its like a mockery of itself.

I still see metal as this realm where darkness tends to prevail... and while some of the folkish shit like Otyg and Finntroll is fun and campy.. it still fits the bill in a way...

So metal and all of its hybrids... there's black, death, speed, thrash, hardcore, industrial, grind, stoner... but it all makes sense in some fashion... you love demons and burning shit down? Then black metal's for you. You dig chicks in fishnets and smoking cigarettes? Then listen to some goth rock. Each sub-genre has its own feel, its own aura, its own identity...

Maybe if "christian" metal had its own entire sound, and not just a different lyrical makeup... I'd think it worth a damn... but, I dont.

Like I said, Im an asshole, and there's just too many flavor-of-the-month johnny-come-lately flash-in-the-pain fucking poseurs out there getting caught up in the mix, when they really need to back to listening to The Cure or some shit, and stop wearing spikes, and stop getting tatt's, and stop acting all tough.

The old skool true punks were themselves... even the skins were themselves... not try tryhards who couldnt find CBGB's on a fucking map, yet they wear the t-shirts.

Three Random Words bands... Christian metal.. its like a joke to me

Hehehe. That reminds me of a James Murphy post awhile back about all of the bands names, hehehe.

Remembering Tomorrows Yesterday.... As I Kill Softly... Bleeding Into Thursday... Fluffy Pillowed Love Massage...

you get the idea. =)

also reminds me of the south park episode... when the shit was about to go down two days after the day before tomorrow...

Daniel from In Flames and I were talking about that two... Three Random Words.. that's the joke... I think Arch Enemy says that shit too... I dunno how it got to be the big cliche... but, its Three Random Words now... officially. Fuck, Ether... we should actually start a recording project CALLED: Three Random Words. That'd be some good shit. It's like Strapping Young Lad, they wouldnt expect it from the title. Then we can rock out some face-ripping asskickery SYL/Terror 2000 style.

Today's Ashes Dying Before The Fire of Tuesdays With Morrie in Madison County with Miss Daisy

Once this wave of post -hardcore crashes against the shore maybe we can make some sort of game out of it, kinda like you used to do with your bowl of alphabet soup as a kid...only with words insead of letters. I kid because i care

I only hook up with fat chicks in this manner:

I pretend we're gonna go at it
I go to her house
I make her drink till she passes out
I rob her blind
I leave.

See? Fun shit... that's how I pay for Neumann U87's!

MilkAndCheese said:
What the hell did you just say? :confused:

hm... looking back, i don't know dude. thanks for keeping ME in check. j is kinda right, i i was just defending 3 bands, zao, as i lay dying and norma jean cus i don't give a decimal of a fuck about any other christian bands. i have severe A.D.D. as do most of us and sometimes i type off topic. i also smoke reefer. perhaps that is why my words are sometimes skewed. oh well.:tickled: