Demon Wind - Don't Get Blown Away!

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
demonwindlogo.jpg
By Jason Jordan

What is your full name, and what instrument do you play?

Ryan Shea - drums.

Who is your favorite musician and why?

That’s a really tough question. Either Beethoven or Ian Paice. I started listening to music when I was about five years old and it started with Deep Purple. They’ve always been my favorite. Beethoven…well that kind of speaks for itself doesn't it?

Who are official members of the band?

Chris Leffler - guitar
Matt Vaughn - bass/low vocals
Ryan Shea - drums

However, on “Hunger for Flesh,” Thomas Exum handled the main vocal duties, while Matt added his layer of backing low vocals.

So far, I’ve only heard two songs (“Die” and “Hunger for Flesh”). Have other songs been written yet? Are they sitting in some fireproof safe somewhere?

Something like that. What you’ve heard is only what we’ve recorded.

Where do you hang out?
a. In person?

Depends, usually it’s at somebody’s house watching movies or playing Halo, and sometimes if I’m with a few select friends it’s at Cahoots or the Mag Bar, and that usually involves playing pool, and drinking for them.

b. On the Internet?

NocturnalHorde.com, MySpace.com/DemonWind, and Blabbermouth.net are my top three. I’ve been finding myself hitting UltimateMetal.com and Metal-Archives.com a little more lately as well.

ryanshea.jpg

What are your top five records of 2005, thus far?

This has got to be the hardest question of them all. I tend to stay behind about a year. I’ll pick new albums up as they come out if they pique my interest enough, but it usually takes me a while to let them sink in. So I talked to Chris a little bit earlier today and he gave me a couple that he’s really liked and one Matt has been talking about a lot lately.

Ryan: I’ve really listened and gotten stuck listening to a few things so far this year, and most of them have come out earlier.
Canopy – Will and Perception
Nightrage – Descent into Chaos
Demons & Wizards – Touched by the Crimson King

Chris:
Judas Priest – Angel of Retribution
Nevermore – This Godless Endeavor

Matt:
Bloodbath – Nightmares Made Flesh

Have you received any positive feedback from “famous” groups/people?

So far the only “famous” groups of people that have said anything have been Sadus on MySpace. I don’t know if that’s actually them or their manager running their account for them, but they actually listened to it and said they liked it.

Tell us why you titled your act Demon Wind.

The project started with the intentions of having a heavy black metal influence, and there’s also a monstrous vibe that I wanted to go for.

“Don’t get blown away!” Huh?

I thought it was pretty funny, and it kind of fit.

How does one get in touch with Demon Wind if one wishes to do so?

Send me an email. deathviking@hotmail.com or get on MySpace.com/DemonWind get an account and send me a message.

Of all the record companies out there, which one would you like to be interested in your project?

All of them! Well, ideally one that has decent distribution in Europe, the U.S., and Japan. (That’s not too much to ask for is it?) Century Media and Nuclear Blast are the first two that pop into mind. Not that there wouldn’t be consideration for other labels, but those are just the first two.

Beer or liquor? Which kind? What brand(s)?

Well, for me it’s neither. I’m always the abstainer. No alcohol and no drugs. Chris is definitely the Guinness guy of the band. Matt’s a bit of a different story. It’s Budweiser for him.

You get to listen to only one of the following records, and you’ll never get the chance to hear the others again:
Arcturus – Sideshow Symphonies
Age of Silence – Complications – Trilogy of Intricacy
Cryptopsy – Once Was Not
Dimmu Borgir – Stormblast (re-release)
Hypocrisy – Virus

For me that’s a toss up between Cryptopsy and Dimmu Borgir. I think I’m going to have to go with the new Stormblast, but Flo (drums, Cryptopsy) is a beast!

Without using Google or reference materials of any sort, are you able to tell us what the capital city of Ecuador is?

Sadly, I am not able. Though after checking on the CIA World Factbook, it’s Quito.

What “technical” bands do you like?

Origin, Cryptopsy, and others.

Where are you from, and how is the metal scene in your area?

The Louisville area (Clarksville, Indiana). Don’t you mean the metalcore scene? Thriving it seems. Abominant from Radcliff and Assisting Sorrow from Louisville are basically the only two real metal bands that I can think of around here. To find more real metal bands you’re going to have to go a little farther. BUT, the appreciation for the real metal bands is growing at a rapid rate. There have been a few more shows coming to town lately such as Strapping Young Lad and Soilwork. Soilent Green are coming in September, but we haven’t seen Slayer in over 10 years. If you want to see more of the real metal shows you have to drive to Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, or Chicago.

guitarbasssmall.jpg

What was the first show – metal or not – that you ever attended?

Not metal. If I gave you a hundred chances you still wouldn’t be able to guess the band.

Ever been punched in the face?

Once or twice.

Shall I reserve a spot (for a nominal sum of course) for Demon Wind in the Official Indie Forums section of UltimateMetal? Or, does NocturnalHorde have first dibs on that?

We’ll just have to see about that.

Paper or plastic?

Is there a choice anymore? Plastic.

Official Demon Wind Website