demonic and ritual

The saYer

thrashermetaller
Aug 17, 2003
bay area
Visit site
I own all testament albums except demonic and the ritual because I have heard what was supposedly the best racks from them and they were just average, but now I can't wait for the new album, so for the meantime: are they buyable?

sure they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ritual is heavy and melodic with a dark vibe and has 3 killer songs eletrci crown, return to serenity( the best testament ballad), so many lies heavy as hell. Demonic is so fucking brutal!!!! but with tons of groove!!!! killer cd with a Gene Hoglan and Glen Alvelais, murky waters, jhon doe, the burning times, demonic refusal, together as one are the best tunes there, so if you have Souls of Black and you like it , these cds are more enjoyables!!!!!!!!

If your planning on buying one album then definetely buy Demonic because the Ritual is far from heavy. Some of the songs would actually sound heavy had they had better production. The drumming on the Ritual is really not good but the guitars and vocals are excellent. As for Demonic, it's the sickest and heaviest you'll ever here from Testament. It's actually classified as death metal.

It seems like there is a general distaste for Demonic, and I don't get it. That album is fucking awesome. I would love for Testament to do another cd that is that heavy.

NeonBlack2112 said:
It seems like there is a general distaste for Demonic, and I don't get it. That album is fucking awesome. I would love for Testament to do another cd that is that heavy.
I never got into Demonic, I never really liked the writing on that album, and I am big on DM, sooo....[shrugs]

NeonBlack2112 said:
Me neither. I love this disc, especially Hatred's Rise...

Hey yeah, Demonic was the first album of theirs I got into!
It is sooooo goood I totally recomend it..... the best thing is that if you record Demonic and The Gathering onto a 90min tape, they fit perfectly and you can just listen to them continuously over again. It rules \,,/

Buy it now!

The saYer said:
ok, I'll give demonic a chance, thanks
Like someone has said, if you are into heavier stuff, go for 'Demonic'. I love it cuz it's a take-no-prisoners record. Heavy, low tuned guitars and fast tempos. It's raw! Do let us know if you got it and how you liked it.

IMO those two albums are totaly diferent, so its hard (or imposible) to compare them.

The Ritual - at the begining you probably wont be satisfied... but if you'll try to get deeper in this album you probably will find 2nd bottom. I like Ritual a lot, but as I said - at the begining I didn't liked it much. This album needs time.

Demonic - its heavy one. Chuck grooves here. It has more well-known tracks like: Demonic Refusal, The Burning Times, Murky Waters... etc. Its also good album, with many good tracks, but something is missing there... I don't know why, but... I get sometimes bored while listening Demonic....

If you like death metal more than thrash/heavy choose Demonic, but if death its not your fav kind of metal, and you prefer heavy - choose The Ritual.

THE RITUAL. Much time has passed before The Ritual has grown on me, but now it's among my top 3 TestAmenT records. At first I didn't like it that much, because it was slower, more melodic, but I've grown to appreciate the maturity of compositions, the incomparable vibe this record has. The Ritual abounds in fabulous solos, there are some great, heavy riffs, the rhythm section is very different than on the previous releases, very un-metal, which is interesting, although Louie's drumming might bore from time to time. And the vocals are really amazing- it's our old Chuck and it can be heard from the first note- but his singing is different again, which proves how versatile he is.
I've heard someone say TR's the heyday of melodic Thrash Metal and I utterly agree... even though I hadn' t used to be calling it Thrash a couple of years ago- it was more Hard Rock\Heavy Metal to me- I've heard the Thrash in it only lately... I still don't give a fuck about labelling, though.
If you like more melodic metal (still quite heavy) with great, clean vocals- you'll love this one.

DEMONIC. Now this one's different. Very heavy, almost pure death metal. Yeah, almost- there's a definite thrash vibe to some of the tracks (yes, like in Dragonlord, the riffs are thrashy), even though the music is pretty slow. Chuck growls like if he were a beast, Gene does a very good job, but we've all heard better playing from him (it's not your typical double bass pounding). Not too many leads (for obvious reasons), but some interesting ones. Two songs are different than the rest, because they're more melodic (especially vocal-wise) and catchy and those are John Doe and the great Hatred's Rise. The rest is some really brutal, yet not chaotic shit. Some good lyrics are here too- like on The Ritual

Those two records have much in common even though they are so drastically different. They're just two faces of TestAmenT. Very radical faces so to say, though. They were both a little untimely (not covering exactly what was expected from the band at the time they were released) and thus rejected by many, but a lot of people seem to learn to love them after a couple of years. If you're a TestAmenT fan, you'll get them both and I'm pretty sure that sooner or later you'll love them both. They might be hard to get into, but are true pieces of art, just like all the other TestAmenT records

well Wojtek , i've read this :headbang: :headbang: what you wrote - and again the way you put it down rulezzz...

but, let me uncover my thoughts on those two ..

Ritual ...gave it more than 98734987 chances ... it just doesn't work ..apart from:
1. return ... greatest T ballad of all time
2. electric ... yea ..it is a "rock classic" :headbang: :Spin: but it killzzz live :headbang: :headbang:

3.Alex solos. The ritual is Alex show off . period.

but i just don't dig the songs as i do on other T albums.

Demonic.. it took me quite a LOT of time to get used to it:headbang: at first i saw Glen H was on it ... but he was really waaay below his usuall performace on this one- then i kinda liked it ..

but anyway those two are my bottom T records - kill me but it's the truth IMO :wave:

I fully understand why this record doesn't do it for you, Darek. It's different- especially when it comes down to the pace of the songs. It's more than fine with me, but I got to listen to it a few years after it had been released, so it wasn't as big shock (disappointment?) for me as for those (including you) who listened to it right after the release. Everyone's a different taste too.
I agree that Alex shines on this one, but one can't forget about Eric's riffs, IMO. They're way heavier than on PWYP and SOB and most of them are really brilliant- even on the less popular songs, like The Sermon. Of course, it's not pure Thrash Metal, but I just can't stop marvelling at the beauty of songs like As The Seasons Grey or Let Go Of My World. So Many Lies is heavy and melodic and sounds great live, the title track is perhaps one of the most mysterious and unique songs written by TestAmenT, Troubled Dreams is very poetical and Agony with its heavy riffing and interesting melody sounds somewhat like an upgraded version of a song from one of the older records. And how do you find Chuck's singing on this one?
Just my opinion, of course, and I'm certain I won't convince anyone to start liking it, but I advice everyone to stop looking at The Ritual as a dud in the bunch of TestAmenT's discography- a wash-out that failed to live up to fans' expectations, that's lacking the heaviness or speed of the previous releases- and start treating it as a rock record maybe. Try forgetting that it's been done by a Thrash band and looking at it in the context of the other releases- it's never gonna be a peer this way- try treating it as a more autonomous release or an experiment instead. That's not going to work for everyone for sure, but it did work for me and I can't stop listening to The Ritual now.

IMHO Ritual is a very good LP, marked by `Tallica`s Black Album (just as LPs of Megadeth, Anthrax or Exodus that has been released in `92-`93), contains great, clean vocals of Chuck (which I prefer much more than his growling on Gathering or Demonic) and of cuz whole buch of Alex`s fabulous leads.

I`m still not convienced to Demonic, it`s very weird as for T`s LP, lacks clean vocals and solos...maybe it`s bcuz I prefer classic thrashy TestAmenT with a bit of Gathering`s agression and powerfull rhythm section.

I love thrash-Testa, but The Gathering its to mighty to talk about it like you do Tommy.... The Gathering is one of best albums in this type... its just magnificent.. and AFAIK its not only mine opinion...
Hell yeah... rhythm section is the best I could ever imagine (there can be 'just' as good as it is on this album) - you're right
and I must admit that I prefer thrashy Testa too...

Krawczus said:
I but The Gathering its to mighty to talk about it like you do Tommy.... The Gathering is one of best albums in this type... its just magnificent.. and AFAIK its not only mine opinion...

What did I say on Gathering that made you think that Gathering IMHO is not a good LP??? ;)
I said: "I prefer classic thrashy TestAmenT with a bit of Gathering`s agression and powerfull rhythm section." So I meant that Gathering has this aggressive vibe and power that I really like and combined with old-thrashy tunes it`s my fav T`s style.

ok I'm sorry Tommy, I just love TG so much, that I may be a little supersensitive... that's hard to explain...
lets EOT this, saying thats just great album ;)
(but i think that TG cant be combined with old=thrashy tunes, couse i'd lost this STH that it has.... Its just great 4 me how it is now ;) )