Depth problem in my mixes

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
I think that the 80% of my mixes problems is the lack of depth, expecially in the drums, that always sounds dry and upfront (also with reverb).
When I compare my mixes with some professional work, this problem is very noticeable and it would be cool to know what could be the cause.
For example, some of you says that in metal we don't need ambient drums sound... but in my opinion, it (compressed really hard, of course) adds a lot of energy, space and depth (for a more noticeable 3d sound).
What do you think? If you don't use ambients, how do you add depth to the drums and to the overall mix?

I use parallel compression and reverb and reverb on different tracks, but the drums still remains very dry and not too much blended and powerfull with lot of space in the mix like the professional albums

Do you use plugins on drums and cymbals before mix complete set ?

Sounds like you're compressing too much, try some fader rides to make things pop when needed instead of having everything up front and in your face. Just a suggestion, also, are you dithering your final mix? How are your pans set? Try pushing things up and slowwwwly backing them down in volume a dB or two or three so there is more room for other things and you can punctuate certain passages by slamming them back up.

I've been having exactly the same problem and just worked out what it is, in my case at least.

I was recording at 24 bit, 44.1k resolution, which sounded good, but lacked depth. So I tried recording the same material at 24 bit, 96k resolution and everything changed. I especially noticed more depth in the stereo field, making the drums really come to life and reverbs and delays much more noticeable, especially the tails. Even when bounced down to 16 bit, 44.1k resolution for CD it sounded much 'bigger' and polished than before. Mixing becomes easier, as the sound stage seems to increase in width and depth, so you can really hear what's going on.

So if your recording interface/software can cope with it, try the higher resolution. I have read many articles and posts in forums where people say it doesn't make much difference, but I can definitely say that it makes a MASSIVE amount of difference to your final sound.

I'm using Logic 8 with an Apogee Duet and Mackie MR8 monitors, which for me has been a great set up capable of producing very good results.

Uhm...I don't know...the "bigs" usually work at 44Khz,24bit and their works don't lack depth.. :)

Sneap in person just posted that he works on 44Khz 24 bit... And that's just proves how you can obtain cool mix without worrying bout conversions and stuff...