Derek Sherinian's latest comments - worth reading!

Seventh Son

Zero Salvation
Apr 16, 2001
Sydney, Australia
homepage.mac.com
Taken from DerekSherinian.com :

"First of all, I would like to preface this letter by saying that I am not a fan of one using their musical status to promote religious or political beliefs. I am also not one to post on message boards, but something happened to me on stage last night that I feel compelled to write this letter.

I am currently the only American in Yngwie Malmsteen's touring band.

What happened at last night's gig in Porte Allegre, Brazil was shocking.

Midway through the set, Yngwie finished his guitar solo spot with the "Star Spangled Banner." The crowd of about 1500 people started immediately booing very loudly, and throwing shit on stage.

To see the Anti-American rallies on CNN is bad enough, but to be in the middle of one is scary beyond words.

So after Yngwie's solo we had about 5 more songs to play. All of my spirit was gone. I finished the set disgusted, and without looking at the crowd for the rest of the show.

After the final song, the band went to the dressing room. I told Yngwie, " I refuse to go out for the encore under any circumstances, FUCK THESE PEOPLE."

Yngwie went back on stage by himself and played the "Star Spangled Banner " again to a choir of loud boos. He then said on the microphone, "God Bless America, and FUCK YOU ALL" and walked off stage.

The crowd went into a riot and started throwing shit on stage. We immediately were rushed back to our hotel. I have no idea of the status of our gear.

I want to thank Yngwie for taking my back, and for standing up for the USA.

To the people in Porte Allegre, you should be ashamed of yourselves. I don't give a fuck if I ever play your peasant infested third world city again.

God bless America,
Derek Sherinian

From the interviews ive read, yngwie is a bit of a primadonna, but good on him for doing that. I hope he mooned the bastards too :D

I cannot believe Yngwie had the balls to do that. He usually comes across as an stuck-up little bitch. :)

Good on him, I suppose.