Detroit 12/01/06

jeffdill

New Metal Member
Dec 2, 2006
Columbus, OH
Badass show. I drove up with a few friends from Columbus to see it. I was kind of surprised...I thought there would be only three bands, but there were six. Does anyone have any idea who the first three were? I don't. Regardless, the first one was boring, the second one had very bizarre vocalist, and the third one sounded way too much like Slayer to be original.

This was actually Gojira's first show in the United States ever (they're French). I was pretty damn impressed, they have some good technical chops. Very impressive drummer too...though it's very strange to end a set on a drum solo.

Amon Amarth fucking rocked. Except for the first song (were they having some kind of sound balance issues or was it just me?) they sounded fantastic. Each song seemed to trump the previous. Highlights of the night for me were "Asator," "Death In Fire," and "Ancient Sign of Coming Storm."

Here's the setlist:

1. Valhall Awaits Me
2. Runes To My Memory
3. Death In Fire
4. The Fate of Norns
5. Asator
6. Cry of the Blackbirds
7. An Ancient Sign of Coming Storm
8. The Pursuit of Vikings

We only stayed for a few Children of Bodom songs, but what I heard was really good.

Amon Amarth fucking rocked. Except for the first song (were they having some kind of sound balance issues or was it just me?) they sounded fantastic. Each song seemed to trump the previous. Highlights of the night for me were "Asator," "Death In Fire," and "Ancient Sign of Coming Storm."

We had some technical problems during the first song which meant that the guitars cut out. We couldn't hear them on stage or in the PA, and appearantly when our front of house guy tried to crank them up in the PA he only got a bunch of feedback. It took a while for them to sort it out. We were pretty pissed off about that, to put it mildly...

Eventually it turned out to be a cool show though, and the audience was fucking great. :kickass: