Devin T. is ill

Pharaoh

Oct 16, 2002
LITITZ, PA
Visit site
This just came across my e-mail from InsideOut Music.....

DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND have pulled out of the last four previously announced shows with SYMPHONY X "due to illness."

The affected dates are as follows:

Dec. 05 - GC Live - Davenport, IA
Dec. 06 - Bogart's - Cincinnati, OH
Dec. 07 - Shelter - Detroit, MI
Dec. 08 - Hard Rock Café - Pittsburgh, PA

If you check Blabbermouth... supposedly DTB are doing those dates now... I was hoping Devin wouldn't show up for Pittsburgh.

I guess the crowds SyX draw are too different to appreciate DVT, with exeptions of course. I think Deven would of gone better with a band like Opeth or something.

Or maybe if most SymX fans didn't have their elitist attitude about anything other than "supier progressive epic music with super fans riffs and guitar solos."

At the Minneapolis show exactly 3 people flinched during Devin's set. I gaurentee you this would not have happened with any other "rock" crowd.

SymX rules, but come on people, is their a reason to treat opening bands like shit? I can't even believe some assholes booed him on this tour.

I think Devin's music is boring, just doesn't get my attention, but I didn't boo him or anything. I just waited patiently for Symphony X. A lot of people in the crowd were just complete assholes. I know I'd hate to be opening up for a band of a completely different genre to have all the people in the audience act like that.

The Yngster said:
I dont really blame him, he's gotten like no response from the crowd in any city.
That's not true. Jaxx in VA loved him - well, at least a good amount of people did. He got a lot of attention.

I chatted with him a lot about the tour, and he has said that reception has been somewhat poor most of the time. I told him a bunch of my friends and fans of my band came to the show for us and him, and then left after he was finished. That made him feel better, and he said that is a change for this tour. I had given everyone sampler CDs of Devy and SX, and most people seemed to get into Devin more than SX, though many liked both...

At the two shows I saw, it was obvious that many people weren't into Devon, especially in Chicago. I think it was not only because their musical style is so different from SymX, but Devon's attitude and antics on stage were quite annoying. There were some Devon fans really into it in Milwaukee, but in Chicago, the crowd cheered louder for Twelfth Gate (the local opener) than Devon. Twelfth Gate was great though, so they deserved the applause. I think some of the things Devon did on stage really put some people off, especially me. I mean, if some guy on stage scratched his butt right in front of your face, what would you think?

Some people just take him too seriously. His stage personality is totally different than his "real life" personality. Just like most any band (including SX ;)). His stage personality is just drastically different than what most SX, Prog, or Power metal fans are used to. He is very over the top, but it is not meant to be taken so seriously. Some people simply don’t get him, but that doesn’t mean he “sucks” or is a “jerk”.

This from a close friend in the know:

DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND To Complete SYMPHONY X Tour - Dec. 5, 2003

Despite having announced yesterday that the band would be dropping off the SYMPHONY X U.S. tour after December 4 due to illness, DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND will now complete the last four remaining dates of the tour, beginning with tonight's show in Davenport, Iowa.

Remaining DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND/SYMPHONY X dates:

Dec. 05 - Davenport, IA - GC Live
Dec. 06 - Cincinnati, OH - Bogart's
Dec. 07 - Detroit, MI - Shelter
Dec. 08 - Pittsburgh, PA - Hard Rock Café

OdinsCourt said:
His stage personality is totally different than his "real life" personality. Just like most any band (including SX ;)). His stage personality is just drastically different than what most SX, Prog, or Power metal fans are used to.

This is true. In Milwaukee, those of us in the front had the opportunity to speak with Devon before the show as he was tuning his guitar. He really was very nice and humble, so it totally blew me away how he acted on stage. He even let my bro's friend go into their RV to get his stuff autographed. But whether or not he is to be taken seriously on stage, it's just not cool.

The Metal Chick said:
This is true. In Milwaukee, those of us in the front had the opportunity to speak with Devon before the show as he was tuning his guitar. He really was very nice and humble, so it totally blew me away how he acted on stage. He even let my bro's friend go into their RV to get his stuff autographed. But whether or not he is to be taken seriously on stage, it's just not cool.
He jokes around, has fun, insults the audience, it's all part of the act.

You should see what he does with Strapping Young Lad... halarious.

"There sure are a lot of beautiful people in Swede.... Too bad none of them are here tonight"

If it werent for Devin telling me he was playing a new song, I would have belived it was the same song. Similar riffs, similar tempos for 30 mins straight just didnt attract my attention. The last 3-4 songs he played did impress me, so it wasnt all bad. The first half killed his chances of wowing over the crowd.