Devin T. is ill

urinalcakemix said:
If it werent for Devin telling me he was playing a new song, I would have belived it was the same song. Similar riffs, similar tempos for 30 mins straight just didnt attract my attention. The last 3-4 songs he played did impress me, so it wasnt all bad. The first half killed his chances of wowing over the crowd.
Well I hate to say it but if you think the song Earth Day sounds like everything else well... you don't hear very well.

Well I have always heard things about him but never gotten to listen to his music. All I know is that he has my respect. Why? Well I had always wondered why I like Soilwork's album "Natural Born Chaos" quite a bit and "Figure Number Five" never sunk in too well for me. I found out the other day at the store looking at the back of the NBC album and in big letters it said "produced by Devin Townsend". He must have had some effect as to why I think NBC sounds pretty damn good.

ProgMetalFan said:
That's because he sucks live.

I don't know about his solo band but Strapping Young Lad was pretty goddamn awesome live. And he was a cool person to meet afterwards as well, I have his signature on my wall. Devin just has twisted humor on stage, its funny as hell I think, don't take it personally. Some of his solo work bores me to death mainly the slower stuff, im not much of a slow music fan, those ballads people love so much I hate to death, music is all about an andreniline rush or the riff or solo that sends chills down my spine, I don't even care about lyrics except maybe for a few songs that have a certain impact on my life, otherwise I don't pay much attention. But don't get me wrong alot of Devin's work I like alot, like Bad Devil, Kingdom, Suicide, Death, and so on. Just my 2 cents.

I'll be seeing Symphony X on the 10th in Allentown and I must say that I'm not disappointed at all that Devin won't be playing. More time for Symphony X! :-D Of course if he was opening, I wouldn't boo him. I have more respect for musicians than that, he's just not my cup of tea.

~Meg

I went in to watch DTB for about ten minutes when they played at Jaxx; I liked Devin when he was with Steve Vai, but the solo stuff does nothing for me. I'll probably just sit out and drink and schmooze when they come here on the 11th...

ProgMetalFan said:
That's because he sucks live.
You know, Prog, there is such a thing as an "off night". Not only that, but this is the longest tour he's ever embarked upon and you probably caught him when he was exhausted. I have a photo of myself and Devin and he looks incredibly tired.

Caeros said:
You know, Prog, there is such a thing as an "off night". Not only that, but this is the longest tour he's ever embarked upon and you probably caught him when he was exhausted. I have a photo of myself and Devin and he looks incredibly tired.
Good bands don't have off nights.

From what I have read and seen on this tour, Devin has had to put up with a lot of BS from the crowds. Not cheering is one thing, but to boo someone playing on stage is just lame. I think that a lot of it comes from the fact that no one took the time to listen to some of DTB's songs before going to the show. His music is the type that you have to sit down and listen to it a lot before you really start to enjoy it. I was probably one of the few that did do some research and I am glad that I did because now he is one of my favorite musicians. :Smokedev:

MagentaPork is right. Unlike music that gives instant gratification but an appeal that fades with time, Devin's music is an acquired taste that continues to get better with each listen. The more you hear it, the more you appreciate it. It is very deep; it's Prog but also so much more.

I have been very disappointed by the number of SX fans on this tour who wouldn't even give him a chance. I love SX, but Devin is my 2nd favorite artist of all time (right after Pink Floyd). However, it took some time to appreciate his music and "get it".

I agree with some of the points being made here...everyone has off nights, nobody can reasonably be expected to pull off a technically perfect show night after night. And booing for no other reason than disliking the music is uncalled for (if you were the guy who Devin taunted, that would be different) and makes fans of SX look bad. And very few people enjoy Devin's music on first listen, so I can understand being ambivalent about his performance if this was your first exposure to it.

I don't think it was that they didn't perform well, but that I just didn't like the music. I would never boo anyone no matter how much they sucked, but you can't expect everyone to like them, especially when their music is so different from Symphony X. I gave them a fair listen (2 nights in a row), and it wasn't for me.

I think I read over in the Devin forum that SX fans were hitting Devin fans or some shit and they were making a ruckus out of this. I didn't see anything about it here, so...does anyone know anything about that?