Devin T. is ill

kellsco said:
The flu bug might have been picked up at the 12/1 New Mexico show......I know that's where I got it at. Doc says roughly 24 hours from exposure to symtoms. Hit me Tuesday night like a brick wall...

I think I got mine from Alexi Laiho after I shook hands with him, he has it bad. Hit me not to long after that. :lol:

Here is my 2 cents, for what it's worth.....First, I truly am sorry Devin got sick, I'm sorry anybody gets sick, and I can understand that he could not perform if he has the flu. This thread took the turn to how the audience is behaving toward him. I was hoping to see him and form an opinion at the show this week. But after hearing from our friend who saw him at Jaxx, and the posts here about his stage "antics", I'm glad he is gone. I'm not entertained by anyone who calls the audience "a bunch of cunts" and "f***heads", and pushes his butt in their faces. I would not boo anybody on stage out of respect, but it doesn't surprise me that people did. Symphony X is a class act, and they deserve a class act to open for them. Seems like he's fortunate to only have gotten boos from the audience, a very tolerant group of fans who perservered through it to enjoy Symphony X.

OK, I voiced my opinion and my intentions are not to offend anyone. I wish him well, but am glad he is off the tour, sounds to me like he should not leave the studio.

I don't know anything about Devin's music, except for some samples I heard from the Inside-Out website which I didn't care much for, so if they were to drop off the bill I would love it if SyX extended their set as they are who I want to see!

I guess the original post in this thread was erroneous, cuz DTB played Detroit last night, and the crowd seemed pretty receptive. My band opened the show (we're local to Detroit) and we got to hang out with Devin and his band. They said they had all been sick but were feeling better, and I'd like to add that they were all extremely cool guys, really nice and "class acts." Just my 2 cents!

snpete said:
they were all extremely cool guys, really nice and "class acts." Just my 2 cents!
They are extremely nice people. We played with them in Virginia. Like I said in an earlier post, his stage and real life personas are different (as are all the guys in SX and every other band out there. ;))

I enjoy Devin's music, but at the L.A. show, some of the things he was doing and saying were just out of line, if taken at face value, which was the only way we knew how to take them.

Now, this may be part of his schtick, but to an audience full of Symphony-X fans who had never seen him before, it just seemed like he was genuinely bitter, pissed-off, and nearly out of control. The majority of the audience, including me, didn't "get it" because it seemed too believable as simply a guy having a meltdown.

Okay, the crowd was a little demanding, but I think he would have been better off NOT doing the "insult" thing, and probably would have won over the crowd by the end of his set.

My band was the one that played before Devin's that night, and nobody had ever seen me live, either. I know they were waiting for Symhpony-X, so I just kept a friendly, happy attitude through my set, and I think that contributed a great deal toward our warm reception.

edit: let me add that Devin Townsend and his band were totally cool backstage, so it surprised me even more to see what happened during the show.

Pharoah said:
I'm not entertained by anyone who calls the audience "a bunch of cunts" and "f***heads.
I like how you say cunt in full but 'beep' out fuck. like people will be offended with fuck after you say cunt haha:p

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
I like how you say cunt in full but 'beep' out fuck. like people will be offended with fuck after you say cunt haha:p
Thanks for filling it in, Shreddi. I knew I could count on you !!

Beep Beep...... (Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head) haha:)

I hate when musicians kid around. They should play instruments like good little monkeys.

i would of loved to see it, imagine if Devin came to austalia and said 'where is the fucking crocodiles in the house!?!?' it would rule.

The Serpent King said:
I honestly thought Devin was fucking hilarious.
Judging by some of the reactions, many of the SX fans didn't share or get his abrasive sense of humor, although you'd have to be familiar with his work to notice it...that said, I still think he's at his most focused musically when he keeps the antics to a minimum.

I think the antics are a part of the person that writes/drives the music. Still, he called us cunts so we should do a drive-by...

kleo706 said:
I think the antics are a part of the person that writes/drives the music. Still, he called us cunts so we should do a drive-by...
Bust a cap in tha canigga's ass!

...Seriously, though, when I saw him the audience loved his antics. I remember the first thing he said onstage was "Oh, Toad's my nipples are so hard for you!" And later, "You guys fucking suck... just kidding you guys are wonderful." During one point in the set, during a solo (not Away, I dont remember which song), he was thrusting his crotch into the crowd in sort of a Hendrix-esque fashion, and there were numerous other things, but the audience was very appreciative. Maybe there are more Devin fans in Connecticut.

I think the thing with Devin is that he's funny once you know it's part of his onstage 'performance'; those who don't realize this are more likely to be rather unimpressed with him. This is too bad for him, because it likely costs him new fans (not to mention that there are going to be people who are just not going to be amused by being insulted, 'onstage act' or not, and they have that right), but to each his own.