11. Project EKO:Echo
13. Project EKO:Assignable

Label: Inside Out Music
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.devintownsend.com/
GRADE:
9/10

Devin Townsend is a very busy man indeed; with this, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, the countless other projects he's got going on and being asked to produce other people's material. That being said, how does he continue to put out such incredible material time after time? I've been following Townsend's career since he first performed with Steve Vai on Sex And Religion, one of Vai's most criminally underrated releases ever. The man's well never seems to run dry. So, does Accelerated Evolution live up to the standards set by Townsend's last release, Terria? I would say the answer is yes and then some. It is definitely a little heavier this time around, but not to the extent of SYL. Armed with an actual band, which for the first time in a long time doesn't feature Gene Hoglan on drums, Townsend has painted a damn near perfect picture, both lyrically and sonically satisfying.

"Depth Charge" has some riffage that reminds me of Ty Tabor and KING'S X, yet heavier. Second song in, and I've found my new favorite Townsend piece, "Storm," a beautiful ode to his lady, Tracy. Wearing his emotions on his sleeve, if not his skin, Townsend delivers another one of those special moments, this song embedded in my brain. It also goes to serve as a perfect illustration as to why I would kill to hear him collaborate with Doug Pinnick, as there are grooves heard here that sound tailormade for his voice. "Random Analysis" is exactly that, a typical Devin perspective on the "day to day." Upbeat and heavy, yet poppy, this one reminds me of some of the Infinity material. "Deadhead" is an 8 minute long epic, spacey, dynamic, an Ocean Machine meets Terria type of number, and when he screams "Hurt me, I can take it!" it hits home. I like "Suicide" because it's catchy and sounds like Devin's other solo work, but it also has moments that are heavier than the stuff he usually plays outside of SYL. Not too keen on "Traveller," kinda boring and really just filler when stacked up to everything else on here. "Away" has some very nice guitar work, alot of which sounds straight off of the aforementioned Sex And Religion collaboration between him and Vai. Listen for the notes and you'll be emailing me, telling me "what a fucking call!"

"Sunday Afternoon," as I am sitting here listening to it on a Sunday afternoon, is aptly titled; a lazy, droning space jam. Monstrous groove at the end, one which I would love to see live, as I have only experienced the aural intensity of SYL. The material on this would sound so good after having smoked a fat joint and now chilling in a packed house with a brew in hand. Feel the love! Gotta dig the guitar licks of "Slow Me Down", so eighties sounding!

I was nifty and purchased the limited special edition with the second disc, which is Project EKO, an ambient, tranquil venture into electronica. Only 3 songs, 17 minutes long, this is but a glimpse into a sound Townsend has promised to explore in the future. "Locate" has a funky new age vibe to it, probably not for most metalheads, but Devin fans will probably appreciate it. "Echo" is dance music meets PINK FLOYD. Go figure. "Assignable" reminds me of all of the above plus some ENIGMA or underground trance music as well.

All in a nice digipak, looks great, but begs the question, why was the bonus EP in the actual cd tray and the full length in the cardboard sleeve? Geez, Louise!! Otherwise, Accelerated Evolution is an exceptional release and just shows even greater things to come.

PJ