Devin Townsend, how do you even...

Mardoch

Defender of the Universe
Oct 23, 2010
Baton Rouge, LA
So I love Devy the guy. But, though I've tried before, I've never been able to get into Devy the music. I want to give him another shot before I attend his performance (I'm watching it no matter what, can't miss this spectacle). I just have no idea what the best and/or most representative music is.

What's the best Devin now? Where does one start trying to become a fan?

The first album that got me into Devin Townsend was the first Ziltoid release, so my guess would be that that's the most accessible. In terms of which albums are actually the best, though, I'd say either Ocean Machine: Biomech or Strapping Young Lad's City.

Yeah, I've seen a few interviews with him talking about SYL and I think the substance of it is that he feels he's basically too old for that shit now. SYL probably still represents his best work, even if it overlooks his peaceful side.

If you're specifically looking for DTP albums, they're pretty much all good with the exception of Epicloud (Addicted being the weakest of the original 4). Ghost is super mellow ambient type stuff, Ki is a weird but enjoyable restrained take on his DTB style, while Deconstruction is probably closest to his SYL sound in intensity. I'd say start with Ki or Deconstruction depending on how heavy you like your music, or Addicted if you like more poppy upbeat stuff.

At this point, you might be better off checking out the most recent live DVD (skip the first half) and then checking out the albums featuring the tracks you dig. As far as the best goes, I think it's Terria as a whole but the first 5 tracks on Accelerated Evolution might be him at his peak.

this is how you get into Devin

For me his earlier solo stuff is the best, haven't really been into his newer material in the same way. The best albums being his holy trinity of Ocean Machine, Terria and Accelerated Evolution.

Since Anneke is going to be with him for a rare live apperance, I strongly advise checking out his amazing blu-ray, "The Retinal Circus" that features her as a guest.

He has a new album coming out in September, so maybe that one.
It comes out September 9th, he performs at PPUSA on September 10th. Seems like it would be a bit difficult to familiarize yourself with the new album on that timeline...

Since Anneke is going to be with him for a rare live apperance, I strongly advise checking out his amazing blu-ray, "The Retinal Circus" that features her as a guest.

I guess I really ought to pick that up. I've been telling myself to, but haven't. Also grinders in your stage show. That's pretty unique stuff. And the choir sound is absolutely massive.

I think I can succeed in becoming a Devy fan with this material.

Yeah, I've seen a few interviews with him talking about SYL and I think the substance of it is that he feels he's basically too old for that shit now. SYL probably still represents his best work, even if it overlooks his peaceful side.

If you're specifically looking for DTP albums, they're pretty much all good with the exception of Epicloud (Addicted being the weakest of the original 4). Ghost is super mellow ambient type stuff, Ki is a weird but enjoyable restrained take on his DTB style, while Deconstruction is probably closest to his SYL sound in intensity. I'd say start with Ki or Deconstruction depending on how heavy you like your music, or Addicted if you like more poppy upbeat stuff.

Funny how opinions differ, but I think Epicloud and Addicted! are the best from DTP (Also, as Glenn said, since Anneke is going to be with him, expect a lot of those songs)

I can see why someone would like them, but IMO they lack the nuance of his previous work. That said, I saw him live a few years ago and I remember thinking that the Addicted material transferred really well to a live setting (where a lot of detail tends to get lost anyway).

imo the best Devy albums are Ocean Machine, Addicted (Numbered! has a MONSTER chorus), Epicloud and Sky Blue. Accelerated Evolution has a handful of standout tracks on it as well but it's not top to bottom like the others I mentioned

If you want hardcore progressive metal fans to give accolades to SYL over Devin's increasingly progressive slanted releases, you are going to be disappointed.

I respect the hell out of SYL and enjoy the intensity of those discs. However, Ocean Machine is a deserted island disc for me.

Reactions: Mardoch
I've been a Dev fan for almost 15 years. He's my favorite musician by far. His music immediately clicked with me unlike anything I had heard before. For that reason I can't give advice on "how to get into" his music. At the most I would say start with his early material like Ocean Machine and Infinity, use headphones, let the music do the rest...