Devin Townsend - Hyperdrive! Cover

XnaySaturo

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal, Canada
This is a cover of Devin Townsend's Hyperdrive I tracked and mixed two weeks ago. I wanted to wait for my friend vocalist to lay down some tracks before posting it here, but we're both pretty busy these days, so it'll have to wait. However, if anyone's interested in giving it a shot, it would be awesome! The guitars are tuned to Db, like on the Addicted version.

The synths might be a tad too loud, but I think it would work well with the vocals. They're also pretty heavy on the original. It's also my first time really taking the time to properly edit guitars.

Question/comment away! =D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1648192/HyperdriveCover4.mp3

i love the original and i think your mix holds its own against it. post it with the vocals when you get them done!

I thought Devin uses almost exclusively the open c tuning (c g c g c e)

That's what'S on the Ziltoid version, but he tuned up half a step to accomodate Anneke van Giersbergen's vocals (open C# basically). He has some stuff in open B and Bb too if I recall correctly.

I realise I can't stand a chance against the mighty Townsend, but I just do these covers for fun with this girl who does vocals, and to get better at mixing =). Thanks for the comments!

Awesome! I love this. Find a female singer and get her to record some tracks. About Devin's music lacking, all I have to say is that his music comes together with all of the parts to make something that's its own thing. Obviously the riffs are nothing special, but it's a composition of a lot of things that end up sounding awesome in the end. The female vocals usually hit the spot for me.