Devin Townsend shows you how he records his demo's

ATLA

Oct 12, 2007
The North

skip to the 2hrish mark.

For a lot of us this is biz as usual but i thought it was awesome to watch him work.

Actually watched a good two hours of that. What a badass Dev is. Rad to watch him work and add layers.

I loved that. I hope more artists do that in the future. It was inspiring to watch him. His workflow is pretty similar to mine which is cool to know. I also loved to watch how he added all those layers. That's something that I'm trying to incorporate. I didn't expect some of the tones to be the way they are outside of a mix (like that crappy sounding fuzz tone).

Hilarious that he holds the vocal mic in his hand, waving it all around singing in front of his desk and the vocals sound fine in the mix. He must be doing some crazy stuff in the mix to get them to sit good and sound mixed. He blows past all the stuff he does so fast I have no idea whats going on.

Kinda depressing that he can get it all to sound decent in a couple hours and I cant get shit to sound good all day mixing. Not only that, but I thought his guitar sound was just plain awful. But, in the end they mixed fine..

Do you guys really find this song and the way it's been "shaped" is amazing? I'll probably be bashed for these words but to be totally honest, I must say that I don't find anything super awesome here. Don't misunderstand me, Townsend is awesome at what he does, he's an incredible singer, musician, composer, etc. and I was a really big fan but the major part of his late work - except some stuff - just does not amazed me. Maybe I am less receptive now.. Naturally needless to say that's still great to see such a pro working!

Well I wasn't waiting for something supernatural to happen. I saw what I was expecting- his workflow of recording ideas/ demos. He is right that template is needed for straight up getting idea down. I just wanted to watch him doing it.
I'm more interested on how he make his reverbs sound big and not make huge mess.

I'm more interested on how he make his reverbs sound big and not make huge mess.

+1

Always wondered how such huge amounts of delays and verbs on so many tracks could be so musical at the end (especially on SYL). Physicist is generously messy tho. EQ, sidechains and lots of automation I guess.

Can anyone explain to me his wet dry tone? He used just the wet signal for a guitar track. How do you go about doing that? Also the way he did it was record a third track along with the two main rhythm tones and just had it as ome stereo track instead of two mono panned left and right. What do you guys think of that?

Last edited:
Not sure I fully understand your question, but here's my shot at an answer

As I gather from watching the stream and his rig rundown he runs one axe-fx for the dry overdriven sound, and the second axe emulates his olf roland gp-something unit that is responsible for the delay and verbs and records to a seperate stereo track

Not sure I fully understand your question, but here's my shot at an answer

As I gather from watching the stream and his rig rundown he runs one axe-fx for the dry overdriven sound, and the second axe emulates his olf roland gp-something unit that is responsible for the delay and verbs and records to a seperate stereo track

but the Wet track has an amp on it too though and not just effects. How wet are the effects? Would you set the mix to 100% on that track?

but the Wet track has an amp on it too though and not just effects. How wet are the effects? Would you set the mix to 100% on that track?
'

maybe he is routing the amp sound of axe-fx 1 into the "effects only" axe-fx 2 and recording both units, but that's just me guessing here

how would you set the mix for the effects only track? Pretty much just a set to taste kinda thing? I'm going to try it out on my Helix