Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient

I am not a big fan of his SYL stuff but I like/love most of his solo stuff.

I'd rank them something like this:

1. Ocean Machine
2. Terria
3. Infinity
4. Synchestra
5. Ziltoid
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- Accelerated Evolution (decent but no where's near the level of his other material)

I have yet to hear Physicist fully.

I should also say the more I listen to Ziltoid the more I like it, I may even enjoy it more than Synchestra but it is still too early to tell at this point.

AE is good, but not great. Synchestra was just not my cup of tea.

Devin made his best music when he was fucked up in the head. His stuff now is great - but the other, older stuff to me has always been mindblowing.

well...I doubt he can ever put out something better than Ocean Machine. that's just a magical album to me. Infinity sure is original as hell, awesome album. same for Terria. Physicist is good, but kind of weak compared to the previous albums imo.
AE contains some of his best tracks, mainly Away and Deadhead!
I didn't like Synchestra at all when I first listened to it. I love it now though...especially the epicness of Pixillate/Judgment/A Simple Lullaby. To me those songs are as great as Ocean Machine's Funeral/Bastard.
I guess I'll never understand how it's possible to not like this kind of music. But maybe some people don't like it when it's so obvious that their favourite artist doesn't take himself serious in the slightest. ;)

Just heard ziltoid and i'm surprised, it's Dev at the best of his game, great melodies, awesome heavy riffs, great vocals, and lots of humor.
Amazing album.

I got the DTB dvd, cool dvd.

For me it goes.

Terria/OM (can't decide), Infinity, Ziltoid, Physicist, AE/Synchestra(both disapoitments but not bad albuns at all, good stuff but far from dev's best)

Just watching the safe zone dvd and wondering why Dev doesn't play anything of Physicist live. I've read it's his least favorite album but fuck, there's some great song in there, at least Kingdom and The Complex should be played live(or even Death or Devoid that rock hard).

I think it's a very underrated album, even by Dev.
In Ziltoid i hear a lot of it actually, the mix of heavy riffs with the clean voice melodies, it rocks! Much better then the new black for instance....underrated imo.

i know he has played kingdom and namaste live. i think thats all from the album though. ive ofteh wondered why he doesnt play more myself. i think its an amazing, very under rated album - it was actually my favorite dev album for a while - the melodies and heaviness are mixed unbelievabley well. the album flows perfectly from start to finish - just a killer record.

but, what is the safe zone dvd? is that the one that came with synchestra?

i know he has played kingdom and namaste live. i think thats all from the album though. ive ofteh wondered why he doesnt play more myself. i think its an amazing, very under rated album - it was actually my favorite dev album for a while - the melodies and heaviness are mixed unbelievabley well. the album flows perfectly from start to finish - just a killer record.

but, what is the safe zone dvd? is that the one that came with synchestra?
Yes, it's that one.