Dezperadoz (Old Western Metal)

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
This is a hidden gem of 2006 in my opinion. Be forewarned though, if you're not a fan of old country music and American Westerns, this might not be your cup o' tea. But if you like old Hank Williams and Johnny Cash, and old school metal with a progressive twist, this is your hidden gem.

It's a concept album based on Wyatt Earp and the shootout at the OK Corral. Check it out on hi speed internet at:

http://13119.webhosting4.1blu.de/pg002.html

This is definite top-10 album of 2006 for me, maybe even top five. Give a diamond in the rough a chance.

This is a hidden gem of 2006 in my opinion. Be forewarned though, if you're not a fan of old country music and American Westerns, this might not be your cup o' tea. But if you like old Hank Williams and Johnny Cash, and old school metal with a progressive twist, this is your hidden gem.

It's a concept album based on Wyatt Earp and the shootout at the OK Corral. Check it out on hi speed internet at:

http://13119.webhosting4.1blu.de/pg002.html

This is definite top-10 album of 2006 for me, maybe even top five. Give a diamond in the rough a chance.

THIS STUFF ROCKS! Great find TS Outcast! :headbang: I LOVE IT!

Having grown up on Willie & Waylon, Merle Haggard, and Marty Robbins, this definitely deserves my attention. I'll check it out once I get home from work today. Thanks for the post!

:headbang:

Argh!!! Why must you tempt me like this?!

I've been on the lookout for country-metal for a couple years now, mostly as a result of Chingon's "Mexican Spaghetti Western" (which is awesome and rockin', but not *quite* metal), and Naervaer's "Skiftninger" (which isn't metal at all, but has an incredible "desert plateau at midnight" atmosphere to it).

So it's really an old-school, southwest, spaghetti-western atmosphere that I'm looking for. And the first track of this Desperadoz album (and the overall concept) sounded really promising, but then I didn't hear many western elements after that. And "Rawhide"? C'mon! I guess I'm probably just too demanding. :)

But what's with the Germans doing this stuff? Because the best example by far of what I'm looking for still comes from Gamma Ray's "Lonesome Stranger"!

So it's really an old-school, southwest, spaghetti-western atmosphere that I'm looking for. And the first track of this Desperadoz album (and the overall concept) sounded really promising, but then I didn't hear many western elements after that. And "Rawhide"? C'mon! I guess I'm probably just too demanding. :)
You really have to listen to the album as a whole to get the feel of it. Certain songs are straight out power/true metal numbers with only a hint of Western. Other songs positively BLEED old western music. The most western sounding songs all come in a row from Dead Man Walking through Hellbilly Square. Later in the album, you'll find brief moments of dialogue, sound effects from western days, and at one point you even get Doc Holliday coughing up his tuberculosis. All very authentic sounding, and really takes you back in time. And Rawhide kicks ass! It's a really rocked out version of the song!

Not sure why it took Germans to come up with an album like this. But they sure did a fine job!

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
You really have to listen to the album as a whole to get the feel of it. Certain songs are straight out power/true metal numbers with only a hint of Western. Other songs positively BLEED old western music. The most western sounding songs all come in a row from Dead Man Walking through Hellbilly Square. Later in the album, you'll find brief moments of dialogue, sound effects from western days, and at one point you even get Doc Holliday coughing up his tuberculosis. All very authentic sounding, and really takes you back in time. And Rawhide kicks ass! It's a really rocked out version of the song!

Not sure why it took Germans to come up with an album like this. But they sure did a fine job!

Hey TSO bro'! Great to see you pimping Dezperadoz here. I am still waiting for the album to arrive.

TSO, I saw where you have written a review for the disc on Amazon as well. Nice job!

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:

I think I might answer that. Western movies have always been very popular in Germany and still are shown on a regular basis on German TV. Besides that the German writer Karl May, know for his Old Shatterhand and Winetou western fiction stories is very popular in Germany The Karl May festspiele [celebrations] are well visited.

Country music and line dancing is really big in Germany and last but not least there are a few very popular western theme parks in Germany that include completely re-built Western towns were on the streets you can see actors acting out gun fights.

O, and there are dozens of living history groups very active in re-creating the 'western period' in US history.

Personally I think Karl May is to blame. He planted the seed of 'The American Wild West' since the early 20th century in German culture.

I hope that answers your question. :)

Wolverine - Still

So......
How long until the Desperadoz for Prog Power thread begins?

Jasonic,

This my house and I consider everyone that posts here to be my guests. This is not the first time that you have made a smart ass remark about this forum as a whole or the community that posts here. If that continues, then I see no reason to allow you to continue posting here.

I think I might answer that. Western movies have always been very popular in Germany and still are shown on a regular basis on German TV. Besides that the German writer Karl May, know for his Old Shatterhand and Winetou western fiction stories is very popular in Germany The Karl May festspiele [celebrations] are well visited.

Country music and line dancing is really big in Germany and last but not least there are a few very popular western theme parks in Germany that include completely re-built Western towns were on the streets you can see actors acting out gun fights.

O, and there are dozens of living history groups very active in re-creating the 'western period' in US history.

Personally I think Karl May is to blame. He planted the seed of 'The American Wild West' since the early 20th century in German culture.

I hope that answers your question. :)

Wolverine - Still

I would've never guessed that! That's interesting to say the least. Line dancing doesn't have a thing to do with old west history by the way, but I see your point.

Harvester said:
Jasonic,

This my house and I consider everyone that posts here to be my guests. This is not the first time that you have made a smart ass remark about this forum as a whole or the community that posts here. If that continues, then I see no reason to allow you to continue posting here.

Thank you Harvester :)

edgeofthorns said:
I would've never guessed that! That's interesting to say the least. Line dancing doesn't have a thing to do with old west history by the way, but I see your point.

Its all perception Edge.. I know.

Glenn,
If you want me to leave, that is fine.
I was simply referring to the fact that literally EVERY day there are numerous new posts of "How about Band X for Prog Power???"
Granted, this was indeed NOT one of those threads.

Ok, good luck with the fest.

Consider me gone.

Thank you Harvester :)

Its all perception Edge.. I know.

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't want people associating this release with line dancing. :lol:

It sounds like cool stuff for sure though! I'm a sucker for a good western. Young Guns, Tombstone, and Open Range are among my modern favorites. :kickass:

TSO, I saw where you have written a review for the disc on Amazon as well. Nice job!
Thanks buddy! I'm surprised it is showing up already. I just posted it late last night. I like to do my part for the little bands :D

Thanks for the history lesson, Hawk! Leave it to the 'eadbangin' 'istory teacher to shed some light on the subject. I had no idea American Westerns were so popular in Germany. I guess you do learn something new every day! :lol: