DI box after pedals? Active or passive?

Variant

In the djesert.
Mar 24, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Question here because I'm confused. :confused: I'm going to pick up a DI box for my home studio for recording guitar but I'm not sure what I need. I've got a passive pup'd guitar, but I'd like to DI after my pitch and wah effects in order to capture those performance aspects, but before the amp chain so I can reamp later. Or do I just need something like splitter to get the job done? Pretty sure my pre-DI pedals aren't true bypass so the signal should be buffered. Thanks in advance to any knowledge bestowed.

You certainly can plug your effect pedals before the DI, the only thing that you'd have to worry is the possible loss in tone because of the buffers (it's not like buffers are always a bad thing though), try to do an A-B test of those pedals individually bypassed vs. no pedals in the signal chain and hear if there's any tone loss. And if there is, you could plug those effects in only when you're using them. Active and passive DI-boxes should both work, just pick the one which sounds the best, for passive pickups active DI-boxes are usually recommended.