DI box question...

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
So i want to buy a countryman 85 Di box but i have a few questions first.

First of all the reason im purchasing it is for reamping guitars. I put up a reamp thread just asking people if my DI tone was good enough to do an entire song with. I got responses saying that it is way to muddy. The playing wasnt sloppy, its that the actual quality of the clean guitar was bad (Im running into an M-audio duo interface). So if i bought this DI box, then ran it into my interface, would is still sound muffled cause its ultimately getting converted A/D in my interface? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Cheers! :kickass:

The Countryman is an excellent D.I. and should serve you well. If your guitar/pickups are decent and you have some fresh strings on there, there's no reason it should sound muddy at all.

Your converters might not be the best in the business but they are adequate for what you're doing and they shouldn't have too much of an adverse effect on the signal.

I think what makes it muddy is the less than ideal preamp you are using in your interface... That's why people buy separate DI boxes. But, that's coming from someone who uses an fp10 to DI... lol. I am getting the little labs red eye soon, however.

Keep in mind you should be going into a preamp after the Countryman, so if you have muddy preamps this may not solve your problem.