Saffire Pro 40/DI Box

spencerlogan

Feb 20, 2011
I know there's an FAQ about getting a DI box for your interface, but I'm curious if any one here uses a DI box with a Focusrite interface or a Saffire Pro 40 specifically. I'm thinking about getting a DI for my Pro 40 but I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Thoughts?

I have recenly bought a LA Audio DI2 for my Saffire LE (whose converters should be same or similar as Pro 40's) and I have notice a change in sound. It's funny because I can't really track it down while reconnecting between outputs, but that might be the few seconds in between that blur the memory. But the point is - when I'm playing via the DI box, the sound is much more "alive", organic, "right". I bought it mainly because my PRS pickups clip the Hi-Z input on my Saffire LE, so it is not as if I was longing for a better sound and now I'm trying to justify my investment :D
When I have some spare time, I might do a phase cancellation test and see if my impression can be supported by hard facts.

I use Emg active 81s into my saffire pro 24 intrument input and they sound great, i own 2 DI boxes which ive compared and i couldnt tell any difference atall.

If your using passive pickups then i can see different inputs/DI's giving slightly different results.

quote from Brandon E (another user on this forum)

''I don't use a DI box, I use my Saffire Pro 40 with the instrument and pad switches on. I used to have a Countryman Type 85 but I did a shootout and could not tell one damn difference so I sold it ''

and here is a clip of those DI's and they sound great.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3597430/18vs9.zip

If your DI tracks sound bad through the saffire you may need to take into consideration the pickups your using, guitar/wood, string gauge, new strings? old string? blah blah blah

If your DI tracks sound bad through the saffire then its likely they will sound bad through even a great DI box like a Countryman Type 85.

there was a shootout on the forum not so long ago, most users couldnt tell what Di was the saffire and what Di was the coutryman.

i did the forum search and found it. :) I read online and heard from tech support that it's best to go Guitar 1/4in > XLR into the interface. there's alot of mixed opinions on that though. some say using a 1/4in in with your guitar is how you bypass the preamp.

I own 2 DI boxes which ive compared and i couldnt tell any difference atall.

+1, same with me. I own a Radial active DI, as well as a custom passive DI I had made for me with very high end components. I used to notice a huge difference plugging into them and then into my Presonus Firepod, but after switching to the Pro 40, I haven't touched them, because the sound difference is barely noticeable, if at all.