DI boxes for live acoustic instruments? High price/performance ratio!

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Basically, I've a band I'm going to be doing a good bit of live sound for. They're not metal at all. They need 8 DI's. 2 acoustic guitars, 2 mandolins, viola, banjo, bouzouki and a mandola.

I've got 2 good quality DI's- a Little Labs Red Eye and a Sansamp and also a 3rd cheap passive Behringer that I've been using live. There's a big noticeable difference between the LL and Sansamp and the Behringer. So I'm in the market for a few more DI's but they have to be decent, but since I'm going to need a few they can't cost 100€+ each. They have to be able to at least not suck compared to the LL. If I had it my way I'd get all Radials but there simply isn't the money to that all out.

I've heard decent things about the LD systems ones and I've used them a few times with pretty good results.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/ld_systems_ldi_02.htm

There's also the 4 DI 1u rack units but I can only seem to find budget companies selling them and they don't seem very well spec'd.

Are there any good DI's that are good bang for buck that I might not have heard about or that you've come across?

MTR DI's are pretty good. About £50 a channel iirc.
The Thomann Millenium DI-E is surprisingly good considering they're only £8 each. I use them when out doing PA hires and I've not had an issue with them yet.

LR Baggs makes a Para Acoustic DI. It's the shit for $160.

Yeah I know but see in my OP, I've to get 4+ so can't spend more than 40-50 euro a DI. I've got a few nice DI's but can't justify the extra cost to get 4 more really nice ones, but need ones that won't suck as with a band like this sound quality is very, very important.

Think I'm gonna go with the studiospares homebrand active DI's. I've to get 4 and they've a multi buy discount so I'll get them even cheaper than the normal price. Reading up on them they seem to be based on the BSS active boxes and get good endorsements from guys for being good sounding and reliable.

I've a live engineer friend who also suggested them and used their passive models all the time in the old venue I used to work in.

http://www.studiospares.com/di-boxes/studiospares-active-di-box/invt/448290/

Works out at about 30€ a DI including shipping, maybe a bit less depending on their shipping rates. Can't really argue with that. They'll have paid for themselves in 2 gigs.

Can't seem to find those units you suggested Arv in the EU.